Storing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
Ok so I made my first bulk order of hops today. When I get them I'm going to vacuum pack them in 1oz bags. I'm curious as to whether putting them in the fridge or freezer is the best way to keep them for the long haul. What does everyone else do? How long do your hops last for?

freezer
keep in original foil packaging until first use then transfer to vacuum-seal bags
they will last for years this way

Thanks for the input. I have heard the freezer was the best place, but I wasn't sure...

Colder is better. And as stpug says keep in original packaging until first use.

Most packagers either pack with an inert gas (nitrogen), or flush with CO2 and vacuum seal. Once you open them, you expose them to O2 which will accelerate deterioration.

Don't panic, if you vacuum seal, they will last for years - they will just last better/longer in original packaging.

Ok so after I vacuum seal them they will keep for years...should I use them primarily for bittering? Or will they still be good for flavor and aroma?

Latest posts

Back