Storing Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdWort said:
Awesome Idea!!!

Guess What? If your order is $75 or more, you get another 15% off and FREE SHIPPING.

I just ordered some and they came to $16.99 each with free shipping. SWEET!

Thanks for the heads up guys, nice find.
I just took the rest, they look like they will store bulk grains nice for the shop :)

EdWort said:
How many did you take?

32 :D Figured I can use this
pware-grad.jpg
to dip the bottom ones and a regular scoop on the top ones.

ED
I am thinking I will use one for the same but might see if the local Tractor supply has any of those bins. The buckets are easy to stack with a small footprint but it might take a while to collect them.

I called and they said thats all they had at the warehouse but that the individual stores should have more if I needed them.

SuperiorBrew said:
I called and they said thats all they had at the warehouse but that the individual stores should have more if I needed them.

It's a good thing I got my order for 8 in before I posted the deal. :D

Hahaha, thats awesome guys! I'm just kinda ticked that I coulda bought mine from home and not wasted gas AND saved money on the dang things!!! :cross:

PS - They are still working great. The grains were still in them this morning when I checked. :p

EdWort said:
It's a good thing I got my order for 8 in before I posted the deal. :D

Hope yours shipped better than mine, had 8 broken ones. No stores close enough to drive to to get more either.

2164007160101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

The first Tractor Supply store I went to had two on the shelf, and both were broken. Right on the back by the hinge. Kinda looks like they did it putting the lid on or something. Hopefully they make it right for ya.

The ones they shipped with the lid on the top one all made it the ones where they put the lids on the side were all broken.
They are picking them up and crediting me once they get them back.

SuperiorBrew said:
Hope yours shipped better than mine, had 8 broken ones. No stores close enough to drive to to get more either.

2164007160101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Sweet! It looks like you can open the lid even though they are stacked! Whoo Hoo!

freyguy said:
Finally found some decently priced storage bins after checking WalMart for the other ones on here. I went to Tractor Supply and got a couple of their airtight dog food storage bins. I was able to fit a 55# bag of grain in each one with plenty of room to spare. I could probably fit 7-10lbs more in each container.

Here they are, on sale for $20, down from $30.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_43608_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Any updates on how these work for you guys? I'm thinking of ordering a couple, but I'd like to get a review from you guys if possible. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Since I'm kind of cheap...er, I mean frugal, I stop by bakeries or stores with bakeries like wal mart, Sams, Krogers etc and ask for the empty 5 gallon frosting buckets. The lids have a rubber gasket and fit on tight. It's hit or miss, depending on who happens to be working, but some will actually save them for you. You can use as fermentors for small batches as well. They clean up fine with some dishwashing soap and hot water.

I know this is an old forum, but wanted to pass along an update. I just bought two 55# bags of Avangard Malz (Light Munich and Pale Ale,) and needed something in which to store them (other than a mice-prone bag.) I think found a nearly perfect storage solution for my garage. Walmart (and other big box stores) have 44 qt Ziploc Weathershield totes for about $13.00 that hold exactly one 55# bag of malt (unmilled,) and they also have a 60 qt version for ~ $13.00-$15.00 that will easily hold about 65-75#. These containers have weatherstripping on the lid and are supposed to be moisture resistant and airtight. The the 44 qt version comes in clear and the 60 qt version comes in both clear and opaque black. In the photo below, the 44 qt is on top, the 60 qt is on the bottom. The rest of my specialty grains I keep vacuum sealed in food saver bags in a Rubbermaid tote.

Grain.jpg

Back