storing dewberrys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Brew

Reaction score
I have been picking dewberries here for about 2 weeks now and I had been storing some in zipploc baggies in a cabnit hopeing they would ripen up a bit but today I checked up on them and they had a white fuzzy growth on them and the inside of the bags smelled like bread (I suppose this is the natural yeast in em) I'm saving these berries for a dewberry wine one like yoopers or maybe this outer recipe I been looking at. anyway I think I should toss these berries out but im going to be storing my new more ripe berries in the refrigerator (I remember my moma would store em in the freezer do you think this is necessary?)so the don't mold up. im also going to wait for a spontaneous fermentation I hope I can use some of this natural yeast. whats your opinion on this method guys?

Are the dewberries already deep purple? Where I'm at, southeast houston, they are just barely starting turn colors. My patches have another few weeks. Pick when dark purple and then freeze until you have enough berries for the batch size you want. About three pounds for a gallon of wiine.

What part of Houston are you in? I am in Deer Park area.

Jarret

Iim off of 1960 about 5 miles west of 45 there is a byou and resevar I walk my dogs at. They been turning dark purple this week. And today was the best day for pickin! There big jury and sweet and dark purple. Your right ill freeze em tonight at least I know that way they should stay good. It worried me I swear I saw a worm in one of the moldy bags

Well I had forgot to put em in the freezer last night. Thin with a renewed. Mind this morning I thought that freezing may kill the natural yeast in em. But for now there keeping well in the refrigerator i'm going to start working on it this weekend after I get off work today!

Go ahead and throw them in the freezer. It will kill both worms and natural yeast. You want to ferment with a wine yeast like Montrachet. My father in law attempts to ferment with wild yeast. It is a waste of time and fruit if you ask me.

thats what I will do thin. its a shame I would love to use some of the natural yeast but I don't want to deal with worms! I had searched home brew talk for worms and nothing related came up so I was searching for worms In fruit and what wine makers would do about it on google and didn't have a lot of luck their ether but I did find this its totally unthinkable and disgusting but yes Interesting . but I just wont drink any! http://www.armywormwine.com/reviews.htm

Yes, there are all kinds of bugs that get into and on the fruit. Spiders, worms, lady bugs. I picked blueberries a few years ago at a pick your own and there were worms in some of the blue berries.

Hey Jarret I hope you got you some of the berry's while they lasted this drought and Texas heat done cooked em off the earth. I had picked some today but had to get the ones that were berried in the shade. I don't think I even got a pound. The last few week's where the best for the pickin

Back