Storing clean and sanitized corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
Can some experienced keggers please sanity check my (new) cleaning regime? I'm currently cleaning 3 kegs and may be storing them for several months before using.

1. Rinse out used keg, fill with hot water (120+) and add PBW. Leave overnight inverted.
2. Rinse out with cold water. I have an adapter so that I can attach the hose to the dip tube in connector and place the keg upside down and run the hose for 5 minutes so they are thoroughly rinsed.
3. Remove connectors and dip tubes. Add water to keg (through carbon filter) and Iodophor. Let sit for a few minutes, dump and let drip dry inverted.
4. Reconnect dry and sanitized connectors and dip tube. Replace lid and add 10PSI of CO2. Store.

I figure that if the kegs are dry and by pressurizing I shouldn't have problems with mold or bugs. When kegging I would simply rinse and sanitize before adding beer.

The sanitizing prior to kegging at that point is redundant, but I would probably do it too.
For what it's worth, my procedure is not wildly different. However I just do the cleaning prior to storing, then sanitize on keg-day, eliminating said redundancy.

That regimen is WAY over the top, but you'll never get an infection.

Double sanitizing is a waste of time and money. After cleaning I invert for a day to dry out then just throw the lid on, no need to pressurize or sanitize. Do it the day of kegging.

Back