Store clean and sanitized keg with star san solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_f

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am new to kegging and I just got two pin-locks that I reconditioned and cleaned. My question is should/can I store them with star san solution (each one is holding about 1/2 gal so far after cleaning with oxy and multiple rinses with water and with star san.

Thanks!
Juan P.

You can if you want! I usually keep a little in there for the week or two between emptying and refilling a keg.

Yep. I am lazy, clean several kegs at once, then starsan, drain and leave alone. Some people store starsan in a corny. It will not hurt anything.

Thank you all! I see this idea of batch cleaning as an efficiency factor! Thanks for the advice on having a Keg full of star san to clean lines sound good.

My question was precisely thinking if star san stored for a longer time in the keg could be detrimental. Apparently is not a problem at all.

Thanks again for all the answers!
Juan P.

I have a 5 gallon water bottle to store my Starsan. It usually has 2-3 gallons ready.

Everything else gets cleaned then stored dry. A good rinse to remove any dust, then sanitized with Starsan a while before use. I do not feel any need to store anything with Starsan in it.

I wouldn't recommend that. The way you should store kegs, per John Palmer, is dried, upside down, lid loose, and the posts lose. If you store them with StarSan you are going to be leaving them with an acid for however long. Plus, you will effectively be creating an oxygen depleted state however high you're filling it with this acid.

If you're worried about dust and stuff, when you're ready to use it give it a quick rinse, StarSan, use.

I'm not saying that if you store it the way you're saying it will be ruined in a month, not at all, but I just think it will be negative for the stainless steel.

Edit: this is from another post:
"This is what John Palmer says: Phosphoric in 300 series stainless steel is generally okay, according the ASM Metals Handbook, Vol. 13 - Corrosion.
However, it does go on to say that any impurities, particularly chloride and sulfate, will accelerate pitting and crevice corrosion.
So, I will bet that those of you who have had pitting problems at the water line, or other etching, have high chlorides or sulfate in your water. I never recommend storing anything wet. Don't care whether it's water, or Starsan or PBW or Onestep or vinegar. When you store metal items wet, you allow all the time necessary for oxygen deprivation of a local area to occur and then you have an activity difference and galvanic corrosion can start.
Pitting at the water line is a prime example. Pitting at a dent or ding is another. Weldments are particularly vulnerable because the metal chemistry/structure is generally different.
You know how I store my kegs? Upside down and open. Sure I get a spider or two in there once in a while, but they are easily taken care of, and I just fill the keg with starsan and let it sanitize my racking cane and siphon. Remember, I am just as FOS as the rest of you, but I hope this helps.
Cheers,
John"

I have a 5 gallon water bottle to store my Starsan. It usually has 2-3 gallons ready.

Everything else gets cleaned then stored dry. A good rinse to remove any dust, then sanitized with Starsan a while before use. I do not feel any need to store anything with Starsan in it.

Same as working in a lab. Clean, it rinse it, let it dry then repeat the process before using it the next time.

bosco

Back