Store bought juice question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaterWeasel

Reaction score
I had all my equipment empty, all was kegged. I thought to myself "why am I not fermenting something?"
I went to the store, bought a case of Seneca frozen apple juice concentrate (only ascorbic acid added). Added my awesome well water to make 6 gallons. Added 5 lbs of brown sugar, 1.5 pounds honey and checked the potential alcohol...it was low, so I added dextrose till it hit the 12% mark. Added sulfites and pitched yeast 2 days later. It started bubbling in 24 hours. Here is the question: Why is it still bubbling a month later? My home juiced fresh apple and pear wines only fermented for a week! Whats up? I have tasted it and checked gravity...its going, but whats with the difference in time all about?

did you add extra sugar to the others??? The more sugar you add the longer it will take to ferment. Also did you use the same yeast? some ferment sugars out faster than others. what temp is the fermenter at?? Also did you add any yeast nutrient to the cider?? store bought juice has been processed so some of the nutrients that would help the yeast have been striped out.... Just some thoughts

Honey also ferments much slower than dextrose. I imagine the yeast ate up all the dextrose and are still working on the honey.

did you add extra sugar to the others??? The more sugar you add the longer it will take to ferment. Also did you use the same yeast? some ferment sugars out faster than others. what temp is the fermenter at?? Also did you add any yeast nutrient to the cider?? store bought juice has been processed so some of the nutrients that would help the yeast have been striped out.... Just some thoughts

I have used both honey and brown sugar before
I did add nutrient
same yeast
Same pectic enzyme
maybe a few degrees colder than my other batches
Its at about 65 degrees, when the others were at about 69.
Can that make such a difference?

Back