Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragsoaker

Reaction score
Is there a way a homebrewer can extend the shelf life of his bottle beer? Can I pasturize it? If so how?

ragsoaker said:
Is there a way a homebrewer can extend the shelf life of his bottle beer? Can I pasturize it? If so how?

As long as you're practicing good sanitation then your beers won't ever really go bad. I just found a stray bottle of dark mild (only 3.5%) that I brewed a year ago. Opened it up and drank it and it was great.

That being said there are some styles that don't do well with age. Not from a "going bad" standpoint but from losing character. And that's mostly hoppy beers. Hop character and ibu's fade over time. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) there's nothing you can do to prevent that.

How long do you need it to keep for? The average low grav should be about 1 year and the high alch stuff should last and get better over 3-4 years with proper storage... What more were you looking for?

With that said some beers do better with he and some don't... Your preference mainly

Several options are available. Strong, non hoppy beers mature over time, and can last for years. General guidelines for a lengthy storage life would be clean (non infected) and clear (no yeast sediment) beer in the keg or dark bottle, refrigerated. To last even longer, you can filter, or pasteurize by giving the packaged beer a nice 150 degree bath for 15 minutes.

If you keep it in the fridge (after it's carbed up of course, and you followed good sanitation) the longer a bottle of beer should last.

Back