Stopping carbonation with temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadamxtr

Reaction score
Guys if I want to keep a cider sweet, after it reaches to carbonation level I want in the bottle can I just put the cider in the fridge to stop any further fermentation? Or do I still have to stop it with preservatives or pasteurization?

Go the other direction with the temperataure. See Pappys pateurization sticky.

I personnaly do not pasteurize carbonated cider but rather keg. Those are really the only way to keep it sweet and carbonated.

Maybe I keep my fridge really cold or it is because I live around 6,600 ft, or I use swing tops. But I've got some in my fridge now that are maybe 2+ months after 'cold crashing' and are fine. In fact, my 'select' stuff isn't any good until its cold crashed for at least a month. I've kept some for six months. It kind of helps the carbonation permeate and especially let the flavors hermilate, or something like that, hehe.

I pressure ferment mine in an All Rounder using SA-5 ale yeast. Slowly adjust the spunding valve upward from 7 to 15psi when SG is around 1.035. Cold crash it at -2C when SG reaches 1.02. Product ends up going Iso about 1.014SG and clarifies enough to suit after about 3 days. I then put a tap on the All Rounder and decant it direct and consume, while storing (with spunding valve still attached) the All Rounder at 0C. Resultant level of sweetness and natural carbonation without the need for forced carbonation are suitable for our palates, so that has become our preferred protocol for hard cider.

Back