stopper fell in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvig

Reaction score
Sooooo I accidentally pushed my stopper into my glass carboy.. any way to get it out and will it contaminate the beer?

The chances are better that you will contaminate your beer trying to fish it out. I suggest you leave it!

Put another stopper on it or a piece of sanatized aluminum foil untill you can get a new stopper. I dont think you will be able to retrieve it until you transfer the beer out of the carboy.

Same thing happened to me last month. The beer taste great, relax have a homebrew

...the question too me sounds like how you get it out when the beer is done? I guess a needle nose pliers? This is why I use the harder rubber stoppers with the rubber ridge around the top. I don't trust those other ones.

Sooooo I accidentally pushed my stopper into my glass carboy.. any way to get it out and will it contaminate the beer?

You won't get it out until after you get the beer out, so leave it in until you're ready to rack or bottle. Then here's how you do it:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also use a wet plastic shopping bag and use the same technique in the video. Works great!

You can also use a wet plastic shopping bag and use the same technique in the video. Works great!

I have successfully used that technique. Its pretty cool. My wife didn't think it would work and 2 seconds later I had the stopper in my hands!

I did the same thing to my first batch and it came out smelling bad had to end up dumping it. Even after it sat it wasnt drinkable.

Did that with my black berry porter a couple months ago, it was fine at bottling. I'll let you know the final verdict next week when I try the first bottle.

The shopping bag trick works great. When I used it the stopper flew out accross the kitchen and my Neapolitan Mastiff caught it in the air, and started chewing on in like gum. Then I had to get the stopper out of the Neo, that was harder... That particular stopper was heading for the trash anyway, it was just a hair smaller than my other ones and had threatened to go through a couple times before it did.

Did that with my black berry porter a couple months ago, it was fine at bottling. I'll let you know the final verdict next week when I try the first bottle.

Yup, its fine. The stopper makes for an interesting finish... j/k. There is no stopper flavor that I can detect. Gonna take a 6 pack to work and confirm.

Latest posts

Back