Stopped bubbling within the first 24 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapinglords

Reaction score
We just brewed our second batch ever, first with steeping grains last night. It's a Scottish 60 kit from Northern Brewer. Everything seemed fine at the end, and it started bubbling pretty heavily within the first few hours. Checked on it just a minute ago, and there's no activity whatsoever. Noticed maybe a few tablespoons worth of beer on the lid.

The temperature in the basement where it's being kept is fine. Can't think of anything that would have caused it to stop fermenting...

Should I expect it to start back up, or what?

It's way too soon to worry. Give it at least a week and then check the gravity, bubbling or lack thereof should not be cause for concern - 2 of my buckets barely bubble at all because the lid is not airtight enough, but the beer still turns out great. If it started up it should finish, whether it's obvious or not.

It's way too soon to worry. Give it at least a week and then check the gravity, bubbling or lack thereof should not be cause for concern -

Leave it. kits aren't always right. My RIS was to be racked to secondary after 4 or 5 days. Two extra pounds DME took off blow off tube due to lack of visual signs. Took a gravity reading it was 1.033. Put an airlock on and it started to show life again. Oh yeah today is day 10 of sitting in primary.

Just be keep an eye on your temp, and you should be good. Oh one more thing. Wait until it is done before drinking, it can give you a afternoon in the bathroom. Don't ask just trust me on this one!!!:(

Might not be airtight... when it was a vigorous ferment it pushed through the air lock now its kinda seeping out. use the hydrometer before you bottle

Use your hydrometer!

That is really the only way to know if it is stuck or if it is finished. Test it, then wait 2 or 3 days and test again. If the numbers match, you have finished beer. If they numbers don't match, give it a week and try again.

Keep an eye on that puppy for bulging. Perhaps your airlock is clogged. Otherwise, just check the gravity now and again in a couple of days and see if it drops.

:mug:I bought the 80 shilling Scottish from Northern an had the exact same thing happen. However, use your hydrometer. I started at a 1052 (box says 1050) and last reading I was at a 1019. I transferred to secondary last Friday and am just waiting it out. I'll take another hydrometer reading in a few days and see where I'm at. Like everyone else says, RDWHAHB!

Back