Stop me before I do something stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
I've got some extra time and an open carboy I hardly use so I went back to an idea I had for a malted cider with a citrus hop aroma. This is a VERY rough idea, the reason for the 3# of 10L is because I have had it a while and need to use it soon and I wanted some unfermentable sugars to keep it sweet. I don't have Beersmith and have just now started to run the numbers by hand to get all the stats so it is still very rough.
So Do you think this would be a horrible idea?

EDIT: Beercalculus represents the sugar in apple juice so it counts #/gal therefore I can get my #'s together even though I just finished. Ugh

BATCH: 3 GAL
BOIL: 2 GAL (wort only)
OG:1.112
FG: 1.028 (hope for a few points lower)
IBU: 10.3
COLOR: 10 SRM
YEAST: US-05 Unless Someone like's the Belgian idea, eh????
ABV: 11.2%

2# 2 row
2# 10L
.5# Pale DME
.5# Honey
1# Turbinado

Mash @ 155 and collect about 2-3 gal of wort.
Boil down to about 1 gal and add

Honey, DME, Turbinabo, Whirlfloc @10 min
2 oz Citra 13% @ 5 min (from previous dry hop)

Cool wort and add to 3 gal carboy.
Top off with

1.5 gal Apple Juice

Pitch a starter of s-04 or a Belgian yeast, eh? Maybe?

I would do less 10L. Too much caramel flavor, even at that lovibond, can really overpower a beer. But use a healthy amount, to be sure.

I read the title of this post and thought this was a cry for help... I thought maybe i could stop you from ending your life tonight... but it seems like less important things are on the line.. haha

Skyforger - like 1.5 - 2 #s?

Daxdefranco - I do use beercalculus but they measure apple juice in # not oz. So, yeah I gotta do it by hand.

Peachwein - Is there anything more important than brewing?!?

Anybody else got some thoughts?

I may pull the trigger on this today. Just came back with 2 gallons of Knudsen's Apple juice. Which is bottled where in my hometown of Chico, California. Lot of good stuff get's made in that town. Like the sandwiches at Jasco's/Broadway Heights.. I may use US-05 just to keep with the hometown theme. Now if I could get a couple gallons of Chico water I'd be set.

Back