Stone's Coffee Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
Does anyone have a clone recipe for this beer or tips on brewing a coffee milk stout? I tried this and fell in love so would like to try my hand at it. I searched their site and found its IBU, ABV, hops used, and the fact that it is English style, but I am a noob at recipe formulation so I am definitely looking for a starting place.

Left Hand has an English style milk stout and Homebrewtalk has a well-rated clone:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=139820

I'd use the Left Hand malt bill, except to get 5% ABV, I'd kick up the Pale Malt to 8 lb.

For hops all Magnum at 40 IBU, I'd use 0.5 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes, then another 0.5 oz at 15 minutes.

BYO has White Labs English Ale WLP002 for Stone Imperial Russian Stout.

Stone uses an Italian blend from Ryan Bros. Coffee, weirldy probably Old Town Mexicano. There are many ways to add coffee. Having not tried this Stone but noting Stone did not want overpowering coffee (like Redhook Double Black Stout), my style would to probably brew 5 shots (7.5 oz) and add to secondary.

Left Hand has an English style milk stout and Homebrewtalk has a well-rated clone:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=139820

I'd use the Left Hand malt bill, except to get 5% ABV, I'd kick up the Pale Malt to 8 lb.

For hops all Magnum at 40 IBU, I'd use 0.5 oz of Magnum at 60 minutes, then another 0.5 oz at 15 minutes.

BYO has White Labs English Ale WLP002 for Stone Imperial Russian Stout.

Stone uses an Italian blend from Ryan Bros. Coffee, weirldy probably Old Town Mexicano. There are many ways to add coffee. Having not tried this Stone but noting Stone did not want overpowering coffee (like Redhook Double Black Stout), my style would to probably brew 5 shots (7.5 oz) and add to secondary.

Thank you!!! This is the guidance I was looking for. Trying to brew tomorrow. I'm off from school right now so my brewing gear is at my house I live in for school but I'm at my parents. I think I can get the ingredients tonight, but no chance at making a starter.

Any specific tips on the best way to add the coffee? Including how much coffee etc.

Any specific tips on the best way to add the coffee? Including how much coffee etc.

There is no consensus.

Ways: Most prefer cold brew, many prefer grains, I prefer hot brewed.

When: Large majority prefer secondary (me included), a few like bottling bucket, a few like flame out.

How much: Nobody agrees. It depends on taste. For a very strong Redhook Double Black Stout, it's 10 shots (15 oz) of espresso. Just maybe Sixpoint 3Beans is close to that strong. Most others are weaker in bean and/or coffee brewing method. In this case, it is an Italian roast that Stone did not want to be overpowering. Therefore I recommended halving the shots. That might still be too much, but again, I haven't had this Stone.

Back