Stone Vertical Epics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couevas

Reaction score
Well as you all know who were fortunate enough to be involved in the 888 RIS, 888 is coming up. You know what that means? Stone Brewery will be releasing their 080808 Vertical Epic!

I for one will be picking up a case, as I have done with the 060606 and 070707 since I knew of this program's existence. However, I have no examples of the earlier brews. I need to get my hands on at least one of each year's beers for the grand "opening" on 121212. Anyone have any extra of these like I do of the 07 and 06's? Anyone want to trade? Maybe we can work a deal!

They show up on ebay every time a new vertical is released.

You might have better luck looking for trades over on BA or ratebeer.

The 03-current are still to be found in places (ebay, trade groups), but an 02 goes for a good 500 bucks these days. I have one of each from 03 on (that I actually collected myself, I won't pay extra for stuff like that) and I am not going to bother to pay for an 02 because that's just silly. There were only 200 cases of it made and a lot of it is already gone, so it is a truly rare beer. Beer Advocate and ratebeer are definitely better places to look for something like this.

The 03-current are still to be found in places (ebay, trade groups), but an 02 goes for a good 500 bucks these days. I have one of each from 03 on (that I actually collected myself, I won't pay extra for stuff like that) and I am not going to bother to pay for an 02 because that's just silly. There were only 200 cases of it made and a lot of it is already gone, so it is a truly rare beer. Beer Advocate and ratebeer are definitely better places to look for something like this.

Try upwards of $1000. I've tried trading for them on BeerAdvocate before, and It's really next to impossible. You really need to be willing to spend the grand, or have something exceptionally rare to trade, to get one.

All else fails - all the recipes are posted on their website. You could fill the gaps with your own attempts.

OK LADIES, I just had the 080808, and I am not going to lie. I love this beer. a very clean, not to heavy, not to light IPA. And a whopping 8.something % abv, but it hides it well, till you round the end of the pint:drunk: The hop flavor, bitterness, and aroma are all in balance and in wonderful contrast all at the same time. A nice grainy, malty back that fits great.:rockin::rockin::rockin:I am so buying more of this beer.

OK LADIES, I just had the 080808, and I am not going to lie. I love this beer. a very clean, not to heavy, not to light IPA. And a whopping 8.something % abv, but it hides it well, till you round the end of the pint:drunk: The hop flavor, bitterness, and aroma are all in balance and in wonderful contrast all at the same time. A nice grainy, malty back that fits great.:rockin::rockin::rockin:I am so buying more of this beer.

I agree. The 08's are very good. In my opinion, they are the best drinking VE's in their "Green" state. Give it another 4 years, it will be amazing.

However, the 08's are not IPA's. They are a hoppy (in typical Stone fashion) tribute to a traditional Belgian Golden.

i have some 08's if you wanted to trade up for a 6 and a 7 id be down

I bought some of the 08's. I just need to round my collection. I already brewed the 04. I guess I will brew the 02, 03, and 05's in small batches. Hopefully I can get close.

I just tried the 08/08/08 on saturday, and for me, it's a winner! the combination of the beligian spicy, funky maltiness with the assertive citrusy hoppiness was striking. These are not two flavors I've ever tasted together, IIRC. I wasn't too sure what to think of that combination when I read the description on the bottle, but it certainly worked well IMO

I will forever maintain that the 04 was the best. I am interested in drinking mine in a few years.

I had the privaledge of tasting an 04 on 555. My roomate and I both had to pick our jaws up off the ground. Maybe the best year I have ever tasted.

Just picked up the 08 this weekend. I'm very torn about storage now as I use my keezer for serving and fermentation and as I suspected, the cabinent that is available in the kitchen gets way too hot at times during the summer (I logged it at 80 several times last month).

Any suggetions for beating the socal heat for YEARS to come?

I had the 08 at a restaurant here in Santa Monica. If I was buying it, I'd clearly let it age, but I knew that wouldn't happen to those bottles. Pretty good stuff.

Being the first Vertical Beer I am able to get I'm trying the 08 right now. And it is pretty darn good. It is a it's described a hoppier Belgian Blonde. I think that Houblon is better but this is very drinkable.

Back