Stirplate run time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruteforce

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, how long do you run a stirplate for? I've seen some people suggesting that 8 hours is plenty, some that said less, some that went for a day. So what do you do?

I usually go at least 24-36 hours if I have the time.. If you're short on time 8 hours is better than nothing.

I made one last night that I plan on pitching Saturday morning.. I'll probably take it off the stirplate tonight or early tomorrow morning to give it a few hours to settle out.

After reading the yeast book and threads I let mine go between 18 - 24 hours depending on the age of the yeast. If I am doing a step from an old vial I will let the first step go a little longer and the second in my 18 - 24 hour range.

Thanks folks. Let this one run for 24 hours then cold crashed, pitched into a Dreadnaught inspired DIPA( OG 1.097 and around 95 IBU) and it was fermenting away happily in about 3 hours. Running again with a 4.3L starter for the Rasputin's Folly RIS, bigger edition of my Anastasia's Revenge, which should come in with an OG around 1.13

i usually go for 8 to 24 hours. I pitch the whole starter and like to do it at high krausen if I can. It seems to me that i get a quick and figorous start to my fermentations that way. I admit i dont fully undersdtand the physics of yeast propogation but through trial and error this is what Ive found to work well for my purposes at this time

I usually give it about 36 hours. I'll make it in the evening and then stick it in the fridge two days later in the morning. i.e. start it on a Monday night and take it off Wednesday morning.

I run it for the whole time my starter is on....~24 hours then dump the whole damn thing in there. I have to admit though, I typically only do medium to higher gravity ales so I'm not worried about decanting.

It depends on the yeast strain and where it came from. If I am growing yeast from dregs, I'll let it run for several days. If I'm stepping up a liquid yeast from my inventory, 24-36 hours, though I usually am not in much of a rush to get it off as long as I have 24 hours to crash the yeast before brew day.

I also grow extra large starters to harvest from of all of the yeast I use. If I am starting from a dry yeast packet, it tends to take longer than liquid yeast to ferment out the starter, so I'll allocate at least 48 hours.

Back