Quantcast

Stirplate run time

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bruteforce

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So, how long do you run a stirplate for? I've seen some people suggesting that 8 hours is plenty, some that said less, some that went for a day. So what do you do?

jeff62217

Reaction score
I usually go at least 24-36 hours if I have the time.. If you're short on time 8 hours is better than nothing.

I made one last night that I plan on pitching Saturday morning.. I'll probably take it off the stirplate tonight or early tomorrow morning to give it a few hours to settle out.

vNmd

Reaction score
After reading the yeast book and threads I let mine go between 18 - 24 hours depending on the age of the yeast. If I am doing a step from an old vial I will let the first step go a little longer and the second in my 18 - 24 hour range.

runkelia

Reaction score
I let mine go for 2 days then cold crash the day before brew day

OP
bruteforce

bruteforce

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks folks. Let this one run for 24 hours then cold crashed, pitched into a Dreadnaught inspired DIPA( OG 1.097 and around 95 IBU) and it was fermenting away happily in about 3 hours. Running again with a 4.3L starter for the Rasputin's Folly RIS, bigger edition of my Anastasia's Revenge, which should come in with an OG around 1.13

captwalt

Reaction score
i usually go for 8 to 24 hours. I pitch the whole starter and like to do it at high krausen if I can. It seems to me that i get a quick and figorous start to my fermentations that way. I admit i dont fully undersdtand the physics of yeast propogation but through trial and error this is what Ive found to work well for my purposes at this time

Spartan1979

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I usually give it about 36 hours. I'll make it in the evening and then stick it in the fridge two days later in the morning. i.e. start it on a Monday night and take it off Wednesday morning.

jimyson

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I run it for the whole time my starter is on....~24 hours then dump the whole damn thing in there. I have to admit though, I typically only do medium to higher gravity ales so I'm not worried about decanting.

jahdub

Reaction score
It depends on the yeast strain and where it came from. If I am growing yeast from dregs, I'll let it run for several days. If I'm stepping up a liquid yeast from my inventory, 24-36 hours, though I usually am not in much of a rush to get it off as long as I have 24 hours to crash the yeast before brew day.

I also grow extra large starters to harvest from of all of the yeast I use. If I am starting from a dry yeast packet, it tends to take longer than liquid yeast to ferment out the starter, so I'll allocate at least 48 hours.