Stir the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
I started a cider on 12-12-12, I didn't rack it to a secondy vessel until 1/6. I noticed it still had a lot of carb, so I left the airlock on instead of capping it. More than a week later, I still see bubbles. I haven't measured the final gravity. But I know it's done. The cider is dry and definitely has alcohol in it, so I don't think I have a slow or stuck fermentation on my hands. Why is it taking so long to degass?

There are lots of possible factors as to why a wine won't give up its gas. You can help it along by stir/degassing it. Or, you could rack it again in a week or two. Either one will help!

I think I'm going to get myself some boileezers and use them from now on in the secondary vessel to provide a nucleation site for the CO2. I noticed adding campden helps a lot, until it dissolves which is only a few minutes.

I think I'm going to get myself some boileezers and use them from now on in the secondary vessel to provide a nucleation site for the CO2. I noticed adding campden helps a lot, until it dissolves which is only a few minutes.

I do not think boileezers are safe for wine. They are made from aluminum oxide and cannot handle the acidity of wine.

Also, not sure what your temp is, but a cool liquid retains dissolved CO2. Warm it up to 75F and you should see some offgassing. Stirring helps, as does bulk aging.

Back