Stir plate wont work........please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madkap_78

Reaction score
I just bought a stir plate 2000 and a 2000ml flask. When I turn it on the stir plate vibrates and it seems like it works fine, but when I put the flask on it and put the stir bars in the flask they just fall to the side and stay there. I have even tried shaking the flask a little to try and get the stir bar in the middle it vibrate for a second and bounces back to the sides of the flask. Is it because the flask it bigger than the stir plate? Should I get a smaller flask? Should I get a bigger stir bar? I have the stir plate turned all the way up and it still does the same thing. I don't want to have to buy another one. Please help.

Start it on low and then ramp the speed up slowly. The stir bar needs to accelerate with the plate or the magnets can't couple. Once you get it to start spinning you should be able to increase the speed.

Yikes. Frustrating, to be sure. I'm not an expert by any definition, but here are my thoughts - having fought with my stir plate and flung my $%#(*& bar on numerous occasions:

(a) installing a rheostat really helped. Changing the speed and force of the bar was huge to keeping it from flinging the bar into the next county.
(2) Link your bar up with the stir plate when it's off. Then turn it on. If you can (see above), gradually increase the speed.
(d) Try changing the distance between the plate and the stir bar. Despite my anal-retentivity, my perfectly built and sized stir plate performs WILDLY better with a layer of cardboard on it.

Hope this helps.

so simple and yet I didn't even think of it. Thank you. I just tried that and it worked. This is my first time using one so I kinda started freaking out when it didn't work.

Had the same issues with my DIY stir plate, had to put in extra magnets and change out the power supply from a 12V to a 6V. Works great now, been spinning since last night, hopefully my house didn't get too cold for the yeasties!

so simple and yet I didn't even think of it. Thank you. I just tried that and it worked. This is my first time using one so I kinda started freaking out when it didn't work.

Yeah, they can he a little tricky. It took me like a day and a half to finally get the one I built to perform properly.

Back