Stir Plate Wire Issue Newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
I am not an electrical engineer. My specialty lies in biology and medicine.
Attached is what i have. Can someone help me? I was following Tony on my cheap and easy stirplate thread but got lost.

The power supply is a white and black two wire line. The fan is your 120 mm pc fan.

image-2267415043.jpg

image-2772509281.jpg

image-3991906273.jpg

just built mine the other day. (still not finished, but I have the fan spinning.)

1) Take and cut the end off of the fan.
2) strip back the black and red wires and cut the other wire(s) off.
3) take the red wire and solder it (or use one of your quick connects) and connect it to either outside plug on the Pot.
4) Take the black wire from the fan and splice it with your ground wire of your power supply and attach those to a quick connect.
5) Plug your quick connect with the ground wires onto the right plug of your switch.
6) Connect a quick connect to your power wire of the power supply, and attach it to the left plug on your switch.
7) Take the wire your cut off the fan and on one end connect a quick connect. Solder (or attach a quick connect to the other end) and attach it the the middle plug on the Pot.

Black wire will be the ground wire in most cases. You wont mess anything up if you get them backwards, it will only make the fan spin in the opposite direction. You are only messing with about 5V anyhow.

I got the power switch to light up, but the fan is not spinning.

Anybody have a troubleshooting method of figuring out what that is all about?

Black to Black (put it on the left prong of power switch)
White Wire from Power Source is on the Right prong of power switch.
Middle prong on power switch has an extra piece of 3 inch wire attached to middle prong of Pot.
Red wire from fan attached to riht prong of Pot.

Back