Stir Plate Speed Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laho72

Reaction score
Recently built a stir plate and wired in a 25watt 3ohm rheostat (Radio Shack 271-275). I have seen alot of DIYers online use the same one. Seems as if the lowest speed setting still spins the magnet out to the edge of my 2000ml flask. I have tried both a 1" and 1 3/8" magnet. Anyone have any recommendations/comments?

I recently put together a stir plate using a fan with the speed control built in. I was also throwing the stir bar, using a 2 inch stir bar. I finally got it to work decently by doing the following. I replaced the fender washer (about 1 inch in diameter) with a 1.5 inch diameter fender washer. I also replaced the two half inch ceramic magnets with two 3/8 inch rare earth magnets. I placed them opposite of each other clear to the edge of the washer. I placed one washer with the north pole up, the other with the north pole down. I got the stir plate to work all day today without throwing the stir bar. I think that the difference is that I used stronger magnets, and I placed them farther apart to put the stir bar more in the center. I should also indicate that the stir bar does not totally center on the stir plate. I hope that this might help. Mark

I had the same problem when I built mine. I bought a pack of 5 or 6 44ohm resisters and started putting them inline one at a time until I got it right, I think I used 3 of them. Now it works great

I added some series resistance to get a speed range that was usable.
The stir bar is 1", I have 2l flask, hard drive magnets on a washer, and a 12v supply.
My range of speed is limited but it doesn't matter much to me.

Not sure how to wire more resistors in series. Resistor from Hong Kong looks tempting though. May try the rare earth magnets with a different fan too. I appreciate all of the input!

i power my homemade stirplate using what was a universal AC adapter that has a switch that sets the voltage between 1.5V and 12V. thats how i regulate my speed

Back