Stir Bar with Center Ring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
About to order a 2000ml flask and some stirbars. Cynmar.com has the reg stirbars and the center ring stirbars. Center ring seems to make sense to me. Anyone have any experience with center ring stirbar?

I think they are more versatile. You can use them in curved bottom containers. My flat one in a mason jar just isn't cutting it anymore, :).

I think I'm going to order a 2000ml flask, 2 regular stir bars and 2 ringed ones, all 2 inches. I also have a 1 gallon growler (that fits on my stirplate), that I plan to use for batches needing a bigger starter.

Someone stop me in the next 10 mins, otherwise, I'm ordering.... :mug:

I wouldn't get both in 2" lengths. I have a 1" and a 2" and have found that some starters, ie. the smaller ones, do better with the 1" compared with the 2". You'll also possibly notice some extra throwing of the 2" bar compared with the 1" bar.

I have 2 2inch o-ring stir bars.

2 inch stir bar get you more magnetic resistance on the motor (fan).
I am able to spin in with 9 Volt power supply.

O-Ring get you less surface resistance.
I was not able to spin 2 inch flat stir bar.

I use my 2 inch stir bars in 2000 ml and 5000ml flasks but I have a suspicion that 1 inch would do better.

I've been using two 2" (50mm) stir bars with the center ring in 2 liter starters without problems for several years.

I've been using two 2" (50mm) stir bars with the center ring in 2 liter starters without problems for several years.

I just ordered 2 1" bars with and without rings. Figure I'll give em a try. Cynmar.com has $2.10 without rings and $3.50 with rings... But they have a $25 min order.... 2000ml erlenmeyer flasks are $17..

I didn't order yet. the $25 minimum order make sme have to spend ~$38 just to get a couple of stir bars... $9.95 to ship? wtf?!

Check out morebeer.com, they have stir bars in both 1 and 2" sizes for cheap. That's where I have gotten all of my stirbars, flasks, etc. They also carry a bunch of other cool yeast tools such as innoculation loops, vials, etc...

I didn't order yet. the $25 minimum order make sme have to spend ~$38 just to get a couple of stir bars... $9.95 to ship? wtf?!

Cynmar has the best prices anywhere for glassware though - you can't beat $17 for a 2000mL flask, even with the shipping cost. Wait till you get into yeast ranching. :ban:

Cynmar has the best prices anywhere for glassware though - you can't beat $17 for a 2000mL flask, even with the shipping cost. Wait till you get into yeast ranching. :ban:

Actually, I'd like to get more into the yeasties. What do I need to get me started? The basic yeast washing just seemed so crude...

Crude, but very effective.

As far as a parts list, check out this page from Kaiser's Wiki:

Yeast culturing gear - German Brewing Techniques

Way cool, thanks for the list. This sound exciting. I guess when I say crude, it just seemed like there was no way to really make clean yeast after my harvests. The last yeast washing I did had a whole crap load of extra trub/whatnot in it and I just wasn't sure what that was going to do to the overall product. I'll keep reading so I can learn about this. It sounds pretty interesting to do.

You'll love getting into "yeast ranching" or even just washing of yeast. Regarding the extra trub in the bottom, some is totally fine. I normally wash my yeast twice before storing just to cut down on the amount of trub. You can basically just fill up a large jar of the washed yeast/trub, let it sit for about 15-30 minutes, and then decant the liquid off the top of that jar. Let that sit for another 30 minutes and you should see a nice layer of clean yeast form at the bottom of the jar.

For $47.95 I would rather take a 21 mile road trip to More Beer and be back home with what I want in under an hour. The minimum order charge alone from that other company costs more than the gas i'll burn besises I can spend some time looking at brewing equipment. There are 6 or 7 HBS places within 25 miles all within the San Francisco bay area.
This has given me a chance to look and compare what each HBS has to offer plus take notes on their prices differences plus how they treat the customers. The attitude and support means a lot also to where i'll spend my money, by this I will come back or not. The big surprise to me was doing business next door to the William's Brewing Supply Company and walking into their business from the warehouse end. They are mail order only, by their catalog you would think they were a large operation. Wrong!
A small section of a warehouse with many other businesses under the same roof. Their total of different grains amounted to a couple hundred pounds at the mostin the little corner of the warehouse that was 3/4 empty. A truely mail order or better yet middle man operation, my kitchen is bigger than their whole office. Even being nice they were not customer friendly at all to me and my friend and they're only 6 miles from home. Welding gas is the only reason to drive by that business, now I understand why it took over 3 weeks to get a simple cheap faucet delivered from them.
If you live out in the country where everything must be ordered then it's a gamble on when a item is delivered. One place was a part time brewing supply, he's gone out of business besides only open 1 in 9 times driving by on saturdays.

Back