Still yeasty after 4 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iadknet

Reaction score
I started my first two batches of cider in December, that were bottled after about 3 weeks and they still seem to have a very strong yeast flavor after four months.

The two one gallon batches started off as:
OG: 1.048 - S-04
OG: 1.051 - EC-1118

Both fermented to being completely dry... but beyond being pretty bland they at least seemed drinkable when I first bottled them. I added about a tablespoon of sugar to each gallon at bottling time get some conservative carbonation. After four months I would have expected all the in-bottle fermentation to be done and all the yeast to have settled to the bottom, but I have been sampling a bottle every couple of weeks and every one has been terribly yeasty from the first sip.

I am towards the end of primary fermentation for my second attempt - using apple juice concentrate to fortify up to 1.07 OG and using WLP775 Cider yeast. I took a sample at 1.02 a few days ago, and it still tasted mostly like apple juice. Yesterday I took a sample at 1.01, and now it has a very strong yeast flavor. I'm worried that this batch will never lose that flavor.

Any advice for avoiding this in the future? Should I let it bulk age in secondary for a few months before bottling?

Thanks!

you could try cold crashing it to try to get some of the yeast out of suspension. Normally that's done before bottling, so get ready for a layer of sediment at the bottom.

What type of yeast did you use? When I made my first batch it never lost the yeast flavor (even when perfectly clear) because I was using bread yeast. As soon as I switched to fermentor's yeast the problem went away. That's been true for every type I've tried; US05, champagne, notty, 1095. I even went back and made a small batch again with bread yeast to confirm and it was really noticeable. Bacteria levels aside, I think this is the main reason nobody brews with bread yeast.

Back