still mead or sparkling mead, whats you favorite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagatho

Reaction score
Hello people

this post is only to make a little poll, how do you prefer to drink your mead?

Still or sparkling mead?

for my taste i prefer the sparling mead, the sweet golden drinking with a little fizz to make it a refreshing drink to enjoy while playing videogames or whatching a TV serie with my wife.

i will enjoy your comments.

cheers.

Man, I've gotta really get on board with this Mead thing. I don't know if I'll be making any anytime soon but hearing it talked about so much, I'm not sure what kind of drinker I can call myself if I've never tried it.

Man, I've gotta really get on board with this Mead thing. I don't know if I'll be making any anytime soon but hearing it talked about so much, I'm not sure what kind of drinker I can call myself if I've never tried it.

This is an amazing hobby, come with us, get in the boat you will be soon crafting and brewing mead, enjoying the golden drink of the Gods, just dont get disappointed if your first batch dont taste like you think, i take like 4 batches to get the flavor and taste that i was looking for, just start with one gallon jugs.

we are all here to help if you have any question we will enjoy helping you.

I typically prefer still meads for the most part, unless it's a hydromel/short mead. In those, the added carbonation makes up for the otherwise thin body. That said, I'd never turn down a mead because of its carbonation level (or lack thereof).

On the other hand, carbonated cysers are always welcome (I'm making one right now, actually).

I actually don't know! Of my first batch I will be carbonating one third of it to have something to compare about.

Another thing, would carbonation be more suitable for a dry or a sweet mead? Now I know most commercial meads are borderline sack-meads, and a lot of people typically enjoy their mead a bit sweet. I'm on the other hand in most cases aiming for something in the semi-dry range, and that usually gives quite a different palette to work with. Then there are a wide array of different kinds of mead as well.

So I guess the question can be better reformulated to "What kind of mead typically works better carbonated than not?"

This is an amazing hobby, come with us, get in the boat you will be soon crafting and brewing mead, enjoying the golden drink of the Gods, just dont get disappointed if your first batch dont taste like you think, i take like 4 batches to get the flavor and taste that i was looking for, just start with one gallon jugs.

we are all here to help if you have any question we will enjoy helping you.

Any commercial brands you'd recommend? I have a friend who is a much more serious home brewer than I am but he still hasn't touched on Mead yet. I don't have a source for home made mead.

I'm really not fond of sparkling. Every time I've found it interferes with the natural flavor of the mead rather than enhancing it. If I see that a bottle has gone carbed on me I'll actually reseal the ez-cap, shake it up, and then slowly off gas the CO2

Never tried a carbed Mead. Definitely like a semi dry or semi sweet Mead if you will (FG 1.002 to 1.006) and do like it still. However now that the question was raised i do have a Cannon Ball Mini 1.75 Gallon Keg and will be trying a small batch. Just need to figure out what to do with the Cider in it before i do..... :tank:

Any suggestions as to the volume of CO2 to shoot for? (Like my Ciders at 2.5.)

Bottle the cider from the keg. I just did a small batch cyser in my Cannonball and carb'ed it to 2.5 and it was great. I don't think I'd carb a straight mead though, It just seems wrong.

Latest posts

Back