Still learning how to read hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpup506

Reaction score
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG

What is my FG reading here? I’m still trying to get the hang of it. Is that 1.05?

The best way to read this and not worry about foam, miniscus, hydrometer tilting and being held up by opposite wall of sample tube, and the statistical certainty that the scale you want to read won't be on the opposite side of the bobber is...

To get a refractometer!

I dont own one or have ever used one so could be way off but that looks more like 1.008 strong then 1.010 weak. So 1.009?

I believe you’re also supposed to take the reading of the wort at 60*. You may get a different reading if your wort is 80*.

OG I think was 1.004 if I’m understanding. Puts me at abv around 8%?

If your OG was 1.004 then you basically fermented water with a tablespoon or so of sugar.
If your OG was 1.040 you should end up with a session beer (low ABV)
A refractometer will give you a good starting reading(OG) but isn’t accurate once fermentation has occurred unless you want to try some mathematical gymnastics to correct the reading. You’ll still need to calibrate either instrument and adjust for temperatures.
I know many refractometers are advertised as ATC but that only pertains to the temp of the refractometer not the sample.
Try for a sample with less foam or let it settle. You’ll be able to read it more accurately.

I would read that as 1.01. I suppose anyone can get real picky about their readings but I use just try to get in the ball park. Hell, some home brewers don't even take readings (that does sound a little silly to me). I personally use both a refratometer and a hydrometer because I like to compare the findings but at the end of the day if you can find that fermentation has stopped who cares if your off a little on your ABV. I'm sure some will scoff at this but I'm not overly concerned if my beer is 5% or 5.2%.

That's my $.02 anyways.

If your OG was 1.004 then you basically fermented water with a tablespoon or so of sugar.
If your OG was 1.040 you should end up with a session beer (low ABV)
A refractometer will give you a good starting reading(OG) but isn’t accurate once fermentation has occurred unless you want to try some mathematical gymnastics to correct the reading. You’ll still need to calibrate either instrument and adjust for temperatures.
I know many refractometers are advertised as ATC but that only pertains to the temp of the refractometer not the sample.
Try for a sample with less foam or let it settle. You’ll be able to read it more accurately.

I think you’re right it was 1.04

Pretend the foam isn't there. 1.010.

No pretending, just remove the foam - it's the only way to get a reading (as shown in the video above). If waiting doesn't disperse the foam I remove it with a disposable pipet. Got these for use with my refractometer which I use for readings up to and including OG.
pipets.jpg

I usually try to count the lines from below the liquid level. It is the easiest way to get the reading at the liquid line. If you can find one of the major/bold lines below the liquid level and then count up until it hits the surface you can get a reasonable reading.

remember when floating your hydro , to give it a gentle spin. Surface tension can give a false reading. and read the meniscus...thats the lowest part of where the liquid climbs up the side of the hydrometer.

Back