Still gurgling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_the_goods

Reaction score
It's on it's 4th day now and the primary is still gurgling every 30 sec. to a min. Is this normal? A friend "in the know" says it should've slowed way down by now and that it's probly from the liquid yeast, as he's only used dry.

Jaded Dog is correct. There are many variables that affect the fermentation time: temperature, amount of fermentables, yeast strain being just a few.

Relax and let your hydrometer tell you when it's done. :mug:

Yeast starters may only save you a few hours to a day or two at the most, depending on mostly the temp you're brewing at.

I pitched my yeast Saturday at 8:30pm. By 3:00 am it was already going strong. I don't think I would have gotten a faster start using a starter. BTW- it's still going a gurgle every minute or two.

And last time I checked "Speed Brewing" just hadn't caught on. ;)

Is 68 deg. a good temp? I know the cooler the better, but I'm not able to go any lower than that right now.

It depends on the yeast you're using. But it sounds just fine for most ale yeasts. Most of my beer was brewed at 68 deg. with very good results.

The temp range on my yeast is 64-74 deg. (Wyeast London III). I'm brewing at 68-70 deg and I'm very confident I'll have a good brew.

A friend "in the know" says it should've slowed way down by now and that it's probly from the liquid yeast, as he's only used dry.

Um, how can I put this nicely -- maybe start with this :D. I'd ask your friend "in the know" why it should have slowed down by day four, and then bring up everything that's been mentioned so far as reasons why all fermentations are different.

sounds like everything is going fine with your brew :mug:

Um, how can I put this nicely -- maybe start with this :D. I'd ask your friend "in the know" why it should have slowed down by day four, and then bring up everything that's been mentioned so far as reasons why all fermentations are different.

sounds like everything is going fine with your brew :mug:

That wasn't very nice;)

You know, I could have sworn I read that somewhere, but now I can't find it. Consider that statement retracted, but the point remains. :p

I let my beer enjoy it's childhood. Let the yeast run free and play, and I don't rush it. In the end, it grows to a very mature and tasty beverage, whereas Bud rushes things and forces the beer into it's corporate role early, crushing the soul of that poor brew.

I searched and found some sources that said grain to glass of 21 days -- for a lager, mind you.

And I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread :drunk:

Nothing really, but I allow myself to hijack 1 thread for every 10 in which I answer a question with a relevant and accurate answer. Gotta keep that karma ballanced. ;)

I have had brews gurgle for 2 weeks, they do what they will do and you just have to wait for them to finish.

i'd be happy that its that active, hopefully you will get a very attenuated beer. what syle are you making? what yeast did you use?

I'm making a double IPA from midwest supplies, and I used white labs liquid yeast.

llama: Hell no I don't want no bud! The only time those are good is on a yard work day and it's more than 100 deg. outside.......even then they're barely standable. It's not that I want to rush it so much as I just want an early start. :mug:

Back