Still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazy_KZoo

Reaction score
I am a fairly new brewer as I am asking about my fourth batch.

I have made an extract Blood Orange Wheat

4lbs Wheat LME
3.3lbs light LME
4 blood oranges
1oz Hallertou
1oz Saaz
.5cup honey at F.O.
While Labs WLP 300 yeast

2-3-2014
I cut the fruit and used a cheese grater to remove all of the white from the rind and the fruit. I boiled a pot of water and added the fruit and half the rinds to the water as it cooled the rest of the way. After that reached a comfortable 70 degrees and added it to my primary along with a half tsp energizer. OG 1.045

2-10-2014
I re-racked and left fruit (showing some pellicle) in primary.

2-18-2014
SG 1.01

3-3-2014
SG 1.008

3-12-2014
SG 1.008
The airlock is still def showing signs of fermenting (Or something active) via bubbling and when I use the auto-siphon it foams like it is already carbonating. It doesn't have much of a carbonated mouth-feal or a weird taste from things like a gusher infection. At this point it tastes great. Great light flavor with a slight orange-grapefruity after finish. Only slight amount of bitterness present.

I was just wondering if the foaming is normal as I have not had it in any other batch at this point. Also, is this thing still crazy fermenting or if there are enough sugars in there to start carbonating and should I start bottling?

At .008 you should be done with fermentation, you cant really judge fermentation by the airlock activity or lack there of. So checking gravity is the best way to be sure, if its constant for 2-3 days your done. What i think is happening is that the co2 in your beer is coming out of the solution. That is perfectly normal, I have an ipa still in primary for something like 2 months now that occasionally bubbles the air lock.
At that gravity i would assume your going to to have to add some sugar if your bottle conditioning, check out a carbonation calculator website if you are they're pretty helpful.

Now for some fun science behind the bubbles, a liquid can only hold a set amount of co2 and a certain pressure and temperature, in a carboy the pressure difference from inside/outside is pretty negligible. But as the temp rises or its disturbed it release the co2 and its gone, lowering the temp will help keep co2 in your beer but isn't going to capture any new co2. But the amount of co2 in the carboy doesnt really matter since almost all the carbing comes after.

Sorry for being to long winded! Hope this helps! :D

Yeah what that guy above said. You have stable gravity it seems and so bottling is totally fine. You will need to add priming sugar for sure.

Sounds like a delicious beer! Thanks for adding the recipe.

Back