still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jroiv

Reaction score
Hi, i made a cider on 2/26/12 and I still see bubbles come up the side of the carboy. i was wondering if this is normal? the recipe was 5 gal kirkland apple juice 2 lb dark brown sugar and wyeast 4766 with no starter. i havnt taken a gravity reading on this batch at all since i was not worried about conversion and dont want to risk oxygenating or contaminating it by removing the airlock be for im ready to keg it thats just the way i do things i rarely take fg readings. so all signs a pointing to its still fermenting right?

Airlock activity does not necessarly indicate fermentation, especially after a month in the fermenter. I am assuming that you don't have temp controled fermentations, so since april is almost always warmer than feburary you are problably seeing some offf gassing from the cide(warmer liquids do not hold as much CO2 as colder liquids) You are problably safe to keg, take a gravity reading when you do. Since all the sugars in your cider all 100% fermentable you should read .999 or less, if not I still wouldn't worry since a keg can hold a good deal more pressure than a bottle. Unless of course you have a really high reading at the time of kegging.

Latest posts

Back