Still bubbling after a month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
The juice is still bubbling after one month in the primary. It has slowed down though.
Should I continue to leave it or get it off the lees?

Bubbling tells you one thing, and only one thing. Gas is moving through the airlock.

It could be that as the temperature drops at night the liquid and gas contract, sucking air in through the airlock, but it's at night so you don't notice. Then during the day it warms and expands again and you see bubbles.

It might not be that. Whatever is causing the bubbling doesn't really matter. Just measure the SG to judge fermentation.

Pour the juice back in after measuring SG?

If you're supremely confident in your sanitation of your testing cylinder, hydrometer, etc.

I'd never be that confident, so I throw my samples away (after tasting of course). I think most will agree that it's not worth the risk for a few hundred mL of booze.

I can see bubbles in the cider as well not just the airlock.

Also if I take out 200ml from the 1 gallon jug fur testing, that would leave too much headroom on the secondary after?

For a 1 gallon batch I always pour it back in. Sanitize the sampler (I use a turkey baster), the hydrometer and the vial first. 200 ml is too much to waste.

For a 1 gallon batch I always pour it back in. Sanitize the sampler (I use a turkey baster), the hydrometer and the vial first. 200 ml is too much to waste.

OK, but if liquid is bubbling then just leave it?
Will 4-5 weeks be too long for it on the lees?

Back