Still actively fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this is fine, just more curious about it. I brewed an AG red rye IPA last Sunday. (My first batch in over a year) Pitched a smack pack of wyeast America ale II at about 66F°. Really active fermentation in the 48h. Krausen started to drop after 3 days, but temp crept up to about 67/68. Moved my fermenter and brought temp down to about 62F°. The next day the krausen came back up and is "thicker" looking, and the airlock has been bubbling away (at about one glub per second) ever since. I don't think I've had a beer that ferments this actively for this long before.
Could this be from the temp change? When I moved the fermenter it was super slowly, and the liquid hardly even moved.... I know it's only been a week, just seems different from what I have experienced in the past.
Thanks!

It's most likely CO2 coming out of suspension and causing foaming and airlock activity. Does the new krausen look like krausen or does it look like a big head on a beer?

I know you moved the fermenter carefully but the liquid is still going to move and cause CO2 to off-gas.

The only way to tell is to take a gravity measurement to see if it's done. I'd leave it one more week anyway.

Interesting. I would have thought that the temperature drop would have slowed the yeast. But then the yeast ferment on their own schedule, not ours. It's actually a good idea to start at a lower temp, then increase toward the end of fermentation to keep the yeast active. I agree with Subdivisions- give her a week and then check your SG. I'm sure you'll be fine.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448247055.840696.jpg

This is what it looks like now. It's dropped a bit since I posted this morning, but it's still bubbling. I would have thought the drop in temp to slow things down too which is why I was curious. My plan is to leave alone for another week, check gravity, dry hop for 5 days, check gravity. If no change cold crash for a few days, then bottle.

Back