Sticky on washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounds

Reaction score
Not sure just where to post this but here goes.
I looked and read many of the posts but didn't see answer to my question.

I've never re-used or washed yeast and will try using the sticky method here.

Question, how long will they last in fridge? What 'directions' do I follow for making a starter with those jars? Why is it not advisable to use much past the 4th generation? Or can I store more jars?

I am going to make same style, same recipe beer and more or less 1-2 Months apart in 6 Gallons each. So, maybe 3 batches of beer with the original cake wash.

Maybe I should simply dump the 2nd generation and simply use up the jars and when they are gone, then buy more yeast?

I usually only make Four 6 gallon batches per year.
Thanks.

Collect the cake in as many jars as you want. No washing/rinsing needed (it's a very debated topic). When you're ready to brew, use a jar to make a starter. You can refill that jar (and more) with the new cake and repeat the process for many years. I reuse my yeast cakes for way past 4 generations without noticeable changes although YMMV depending on your process and the strain used.

Thanks. Thats what I did so far until I decided what/IF I was going to try it.

Heres another quick question though. May not matter but.

My cake was quite thick, maybe 3 inches. Beer on top, then a smaller middle layer ( yeast ? ) and a thicker 2 inch bottom layer.

I made an oatmeal stout and didn't use a fine enough mesh I think to filter it. Is my guess. Not a huge deal, but anyway after racking I simply mixed that 2 layer cake ( maybe stupid? lol ) and saved it in 6 jars. Put in fridge immediately and it only has separated ever so slightly into 2 layers after 24 hrs. . Beer and whatever the other is.

Just let it sit there for however long it takes to separate back to the 3 original layers and then carefully dump off the top and then use the middle layer? Would the yeast lay on top or bottom of the oatmeal? I would THINK on top. ?

I don't think I want that old oatmeal gum or whatever going into a new batch. ??

Thanks.

i just scoop a cup of the cake and dump it into the next batch, no layers to worry about since the concentration of yeast is pretty high throughout the cake.

Back