Sticker residue on new equiptment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebagodonuts

Reaction score
I just bought a corded stainless steel hose for my mash tun. It came with a sticker on it. I haven't been able to get all of the sticker residue off of it.

I also bought a new grain bag - same thing - sticker. It has sticker residue on it.

Should I just soak these in PBW?

Am I worried about nothing? I'm thinking that this will effect the PH of the wort, as well as some other taste issues.

An easy way to get it off is Goo-Gone. It would require a good cleaning after though.

Thanks for the replies.
I've heard that dish washing detergent is bad for head retention. It introduces lipids into the wort that will change the ratio of lipid-inhibiting proteins to actual lipids.

I guess I could soak the crap out of it to try to remove the soap & then really I'd only have to worry about that for the first couple of batches.

There's probably no quick-fix for this huh?

Thanks for the replies.
I've heard that dish washing detergent is bad for head retention. It introduces lipids into the wort that will change the ratio of lipid-inhibiting proteins to actual lipids.

I guess I could soak the crap out of it to try to remove the soap & then really I'd only have to worry about that for the first couple of batches.

There's probably no quick-fix for this huh?

You're going to be boiling what comes out of your mash-tun, I wouldn't worry about a properly cleaned and rinsed braid and head retention. You're over-analyzing this. Get the sticker off, clean the braid, and brew good beer. :mug:

Well - I am a newbie - so I am prone to over-analyzing these things. There is so much information out there that it can get in the way until I have a lot of experience to sort through.

That is quite a Papazian response though - relax...don't worry...

Joebagodonuts, I haven't heard that name in years....

John DeBella...is he still alive? They still have the Louie, Louie Parade on Chestnut St. in Philly?

I was at the Hooters filming of "And We Danced" video in 1984 at the (last night of the) drive-in theater in PA. They tore it down the next day. I didn't see me in the video though...:eek:

Where are you from in So Jersey?

Lacquer Thinner, it takes off adhesive like nobody's business! But don't use it on that grain bag, it'll most likely melt it.

90% rubbing alcohol is a solvent for many sticker adhesives.

Mineral oil will dissolve others.

My last resort is
300.JPG

We used to clean beam labels at home depot.

After using oil you can cut it with dawn and then rinse multiple times with hot water.

I removed 2" wide clear Scotch tape goo off a black light with 409, let it soak a bit like 60 seconds you'll be surprised. This tip from the wife.
I usually attack sticky itms right away first pick with lacquer thinner as posted above, not with plastic items it melts.

I removed 2" wide clear Scotch tape goo off a black light with 409, let it soak a bit like 60 seconds you'll be surprised. This tip from the wife.
I usually attack sticky itms right away first pick with lacquer thinner as posted above, not with plastic items it melts. Rubbing alcohol the 95% or higher from Walgreen's is rather cheap vs brand name goo removers.

Hey HB Bill - I am originally from Toms River.
I'm now living in Woolwich - about 1/2 hour outside of Philly.
John Debella is still alive. He is on WMGK now. Preston and Steve are the WMMR morning guys now.
I don't think they do the Louie Louie parade anymore - but they do one up near you in IL.

Back