Step Mash for Double/Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandbekah

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am trying to nail down my step mash process - especially in Beersmith to nail my volumes per step and temp - long story short, I have gone down a rabbit hole reading about step mashing and where its applicable and best practices etc.

Would like to hear other's opinion/experience on using a step mash and what steps and temps you use for a Double/Imperial IPA.

Not going for a NE Style IPA here, just a deliciously bitter and hoppy double IPA (balanced) to enjoy on Sundays watching football this fall. Thinking more Sierra Nevada Hoptimum but with my own preferred hops...

I followed an article in BYO recently suggesting that you can accomplish a solid step mashed beer using the following steps below:

Mash in at 135 - 140 for 30 to 45 minutes (mash thickness .85 water/grain ratio - qt/lb)
Raise to 156 -158 for 30 - 45 minutes (mash thickness 1.25 qt/lb)
Raise to 160 - 170 for sparge (mash thickness 1.25 qt/lb)

Last time, the double IPA turned out great, very tasty but the feedback received was a bit lacking on the body side.

Thanks!

A single infusion at 155 will do the same. I don't do step mashes for beers I want body and thickness. I only do it for Belgians, Hefe ( with decoction ) and wits.

IPAs and any other hoppy beer, do not get any step mash, but a higher mash temp. when I need/want to ( depending og OG and yeast ) and lots of Flaked barley, flaked Oats/Wheat and sometimes CaraPils.

Unless your malt is under modified using a step mash like the one you show will simply reduce some of the proteins you need for heading. Lack of body is often a problem from not enough time in the bottles/keg for conditioning. A double IPA would be hard to work with though because the higher alcohol content usually requires more time for conditioning while the hop aroma will be dissipating. A partial solution would be to add some carapils to the mash for extra body.

I've used Mitch Steele's mash profile from IPA with great success. 145 for 40-60 min then a short rest at 155 before mash out at 168. It's got a nice mouth feel with good head retention and it ferments nicely.

I usually only start in 113 or 130's for worts containing high percentages of unmalted wheat or other high adjunct beers. I'd also consider starting that low for a beta glucan rests for heffe's.

In my experience a low starting mash it's not needed for modern highly modified grain bills. It takes more time and energy but doesn't improve the beer and may reduce head retention.

Unless your malt is under modified using a step mash like the one you show will simply reduce some of the proteins you need for heading. Lack of body is often a problem from not enough time in the bottles/keg for conditioning. A double IPA would be hard to work with though because the higher alcohol content usually requires more time for conditioning while the hop aroma will be dissipating. A partial solution would be to add some carapils to the mash for extra body.

How much percentage wise would you say for carapils, I currently have it at about 5% to aid in head retention...

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Did some further research and yeah, makes sense, I shouldn't be step mashing for a double IPA... Updating my mash profile in beersmith as we speak!

Back