Doppelbock Stellen Doppelbock (Gold Medal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattyIce

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY2206
Yeast Starter
5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 48
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Lager at serving temp
Additional Fermentation
Raise temp to 66 for d-rest of 3-4 days
Tasting Notes
Big malt, a little nut, SMOOTH
STELLEN DOPPELBOCK

Ingredients
-15# Weyermann light Munich 5-7L
-2#Avanguard German Pilsner 1.5L
-0.5# Chocolate Malt ~400L
-1oz Northern Brewer 60min
-1oz German Tettnang 30min
-Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206 Yeast (5L starter)

BIAB Process
-Local Tap Water
-Single infusion mash of 1.25:1 at 152 for 75 min
-Dunk sparge @ 170 in balance of brew water needed (I calculate for 1G/hr boiloff and 0.08G/# grain absorption rate) and squeeze bag
-90 min boil, NB @ 60, Tett @ 30

Ferm Process
-I have never done a traditional lager schedule with this. Only ones that I have used have resembled the quick lager method. If 2206 is not available 34/70 also does a decent job with this brew. I pitch three packets if using dry yeast
-Chill to 45, 60seconds o2, pitch decanted starter
-Allow to rise to 48 for about 4 days. I shoot for 4 full days of good krausen
-Ramp temp up to 66 to be held there for 3-4 day d-rest
-Keg 40 degrees at 12psi for lagering/serving/selfish sampling

I'll try to grab a picture at the next batch. Pours a dark brown, hints of copper, light brown head. Scored 44 and 45 (and a gold) at a local comp on Sunday. Lots of good feedback as I poured at the event. For those interested, "Stellen" is the Dutch K9 command to attack or engage. Enjoy!

Hey Mattyice, our recipes are very similar.

I'll post mine tomorrow to compare but I'm sure this makes a fine beer.

After taking a second look mine is a bit different.

7# Pilsner
5# Munich
1# wheat
12.8 Oz Chocolate Malt

Tett
1 oz 60
1 oz 15
.5 oz dry

Mash at 151
Ferment at 54 for two months

Oh and Bavarian Lager yeast for me also.

One of the best beers I make and for a high abv beer I can go through quite a few in one sitting.

It seems as though my extra chocolate malt may be giving me some flavor where you are getting more from the Munich side.

I've decided next batch that I'm going to steep my chocolate separately and out of my main mash, do a FWH with the Tett, and lower the amount of chocolate.

I have noticed a little astringency in the beer that I can't pinpoint.

Perhaps I'll try upping the Munich a little to retain color and flavor like in your recipe!

It seems as though my extra chocolate malt may be giving me some flavor where you are getting more from the Munich side.

I've decided next batch that I'm going to steep my chocolate separately and out of my main mash, do a FWH with the Tett, and lower the amount of chocolate.

I have noticed a little astringency in the beer that I can't pinpoint.

Perhaps I'll try upping the Munich a little to retain color and flavor like in your recipe!

Your recipe looks great, I had not considered adding a little wheat to mine, but that may be fun to try. The chocolate in my recipe mostly contributes color. It's a deep copper color when poured into a glass. Here's a pic of a small sample I just poured. This batch is just a little over two months since brew day. It is hitting its stride right now.

8x7no9.jpg

Back