Steeping Grains - Clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredriesel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I brewed my first batch last week, and I had a question regarding the steeping of the grains. I had used a kit, and wasn't exactly clear about what to do when the directions said to put the grain bags in the water, heat water, and steep for twenty minutes. The directions made it seem like I should place the bags in the room temp. water, bring it up to temp., and then start the timer for 20mins. Should I have started the timer when the bags were placed in the cool water? Or should I have waited to put the bags in until the water was the right temp? I was afraid of oversteeping.

What I did was place the bags in the cool water, let it come to temp, then started the 20min countdown, so the grains were in the water maybe a total of 30-35 mins. Since I just bottled, I haven't had a chance to taste it yet : )

Thanks,
Jared

I typically steep at 154*F for the required time. I bring my water up to temperature, or slightly above depending on how much grain Im using, then begin the steep. Typically, your "specialty grains" don't require mashing, so as long as you get the color and flavor out, you should be fine.

You did fine. Generally, it's time at temperature, but doing it the way you did isn't a problem.

As long as they didn't get boiled you should be fine. The main purpose of the steeping grains is to give color to your beer and to add proteins that will help it hold a head. Having them in for too high of a heat will result in tannins beling released into the beer, potentially causing some unpleasant bitterness.

Back