Steeping grain for the first time - what bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NivekD said:
Paint strainer bags from HD/Lowes work well.

+1. Easy to use and they work well. Totally reusable, but cheap enough to throw away (I think the 5gal versions I use for BIAB are like 2 for $3-4).

The thing I like about the nylon paint strainer bags is they can be stretched over the lip of the kettle to leave room for stiring the grains. This evenly wets them & gets out dough balls for higher efficiency. They can be emptied & rinsed out very easily & quickly.

Im sure a paint strainer bag from the hardware store works.. but as I get my grain, extract and other beer making materials from a HBS place .. Im not wasting my time and gas to make a second stop at the Home Depot to pick up painting equipment.

At my LHBS a Large Nylon grain bags cost me $3.50, Muslin ones less.....
For the paint equipment crew.. Which one are you buying? Next time Im there I'll pick some up :mug:
http://www.homedepot.com/s/webapp/c...s=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=SearchAll

My local Lowe's is across the street from the LHBS, so it isn't out of the way. The brand is blue hawk and the 5 gallon paint strainer bags come in a two pack for a few dollars. I'll see if I can get a link. Btw, the one gallon bags come in a 5 pack, I believe.

5 gal 2-pack (for $3.48):
http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...=1008387&store=1750&view=detail&nValue=SEARCH

Can't seem to find the 1gallon option. Maybe I lied about their existence...

My lhbs has the nylon bags by LDCarlson. 18 X 32 size,it stretches over the lip of my BK/MT. But it's too deep for my 5G (20qt) kettle,so I put a cake cooling rack in the bottom of the kettle before stretching the bag over it.

My local Lowe's is across the street from the LHBS, so it isn't out of the way. The brand is blue hawk and the 5 gallon paint strainer bags come in a two pack for a few dollars. I'll see if I can get a link. Btw, the one gallon bags come in a 5 pack, I believe.

5 gal 2-pack (for $3.48):
http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...=1008387&store=1750&view=detail&nValue=SEARCH

Can't seem to find the 1gallon option. Maybe I lied about their existence...

This seems like a good option, I have a lowes right around the corner. Could I use the same bag for dry hopping after cleaning and sanitizing?

Some do,but a 1 gallon size bag would be good for dry hopping. I'm thinking of getting a couple 1 gallon size for that very purpose. I love how the nylon bags clean so easily compared to the muslin ones.

Some do,but a 1 gallon size bag would be good for dry hopping. I'm thinking of getting a couple 1 gallon size for that very purpose. I love how the nylon bags clean so easily compared to the muslin ones.

Alright I guess Ill shell out the extra cash for some one gallon ones, too. :mug:

Back