steeping a clove cigarette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat-kadaw

Reaction score
I'm wondering how potentially stupid or disastrous an idea this is. I've long been a fan of kretek (clove cigarettes from indonesia), and was thinking of adding a hint of flavour into an otherwise basic stout.

What are the potential consequences of emptying 2 cigarettes into a steeper and adding it near the end of a boil. So many chemicals, it's a little scary, but debating if this could somehow be done effectively.

This is a very bad idea.

I would not steep anything with tobacco. Nictotine is a very dangerous poison in relatively small amounts. (And I am not saying this as a non-user. I do use tobacco, but in the intended fashion)

You can't control the amount of nicotine that would go into your system by using it in this manner. You could play with cloves, but I would leave the tobacco out of your brew.

http://www.nicotinevictims.com/poison.htm

this was my concern. I've fiddled a little with recreating the spice mixture, and may just settle for an approximation, but thought it would be a nice authentic touch. I'm ok with a little bit of off-putting flavour, but it's the chemicals that concern me. Sounds like it wouldn't be worth it.

Back