Steam sanitize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanshults

Reaction score
Have searched around but haven't seen anything on this, so... Could you sanitize bottles with one of those handheld steam cleaners (Shark or similar)?

I mean, it's got a long attachment that you put put right in the bottle and zip-zip sanitized! Right?

Nevermind. Of course after submitting, the little similar post box had what I was looking for. Sometimes search doesn't work so well.

I steam sanitize. It's a step in between my clean and sanitize (starsan) cycle for my fermenters (stainless).

I use one of those clothes steamers that is supposed to replace an iron. It has a 3/4" NPT outlet, so I just remove the wand and directly hook it up to the fermenter. It works phenomenally. My Sanke fermenter gets to 212* (as measured by my thermowell) and so does anything else down the chain (like my yeast harvester if I have it hooked up) if I leave it on for long enough 30 mins.

Of course, if you don't fully clean before this, i'd imagine you'd bake on some schmutz, but it would be sanitary, at least.

Steam sanitizing is how it was done before chemical sanitizing. It's just easier to use PBW, Caustic, etc. nowadays for most home/pro brewers.

Back