Stc 1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one was my favorite:

STC-1000_outlet_wiring.jpg

Some people wire up extra LEDs or bulbs to indicate whether the device is heating or cooling. Since the screen already tells you that, I didn't see the need to complicate the guts of my box. It's a simple build. The longest part for me was dremel cutting the openings.

Don't forget to break the tab on the brass side of the wall outlet where the hot-cold (red-blue) wires are.

^ I used this diagram as well.

There is a video for it on YouTube as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, don't freak out when testing your wiring if the cooling outlet doesn't kick in right away. It will wait for the compressor delay before activating (even the first time). Let it sit for 4 minutes (or whatever the delay is) before you start yanking wires.

pfgonzo said:

Some people wire up extra LEDs or bulbs to indicate whether the device is heating or cooling. Since the screen already tells you that, I didn't see the need to complicate the guts of my box. It's a simple build. The longest part for me was dremel cutting the openings.

Don't forget to break the tab on the brass side of the wall outlet where the hot-cold (red-blue) wires are.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. And someone to say that it worked. Should be in sometime this week. I will post pics. Once again thanks a million. Cheers

Have fun! Don't forget you can customize this in any way you want. Larger box, multiple outlets etc... You don't have to put the outlets on the front of the box either. I didn't because my box will sit on top of the refrigerator I use as a fermentation chamber. I wanted the outlet in the back of the box to keep things clean. Other people hang their boxes on the wall, or on the side of their ferm-box and need/want a different configuration. Here's mine:

stcc1000.JPG

pfgonzo, what box did you use to build your controller? Was it something you picked up locally, or ordered online? I like the look of it.

It's a "project box" from Radio Shack. Everyone I've ever been in has them in stock. That one is an 8x6x3. I'm building a second one for my keezer project, and think I'll get a smaller box next time. Need to check measurements though.

[Edit] "Project enclosure" sorry, and I'd get the 7x5x3 next time.

I put together a couple of drawings for my little STC project. Basically using other drawings I found around online, including the one posted above.

If you go to post number 10 on the first page, that was the final drawings.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/multiple-stc-1000-controllers-381893/

If you want to wire only one outlet up, then break the drawing off at the first thick horizontal black line.

Also a note, on the neutral side of the outlet... don't break the little tab that connects the two posts. I did that and it was not powering on at all. Luckily user reynolds5520 helped walk me through it. You might already know this, but for what its worth!

Also Youtube is a huge help!

good luck and post some pics when you are done!

John when all is said and done, would you do it exactly the same way again? I'm sure the large box made space a non-issue, but I'm personally going to try to shrink things for my second STC1000 box.

John when all is said and done, would you do it exactly the same way again? I'm sure the large box made space a non-issue, but I'm personally going to try to shrink things for my second STC1000 box.

Actually the large box did not help that much, the limiting space was the gang box. I bought a 3 gang box and it got tough jamming all the wire in there.

If I were to do it over again I would keep the same setup, I like having the 2 controls confined in one box. I can control my fermentation chamber (mini fridge) and my serving fridge separately. I would change out the box for something roughly the same size but plastic and probably with a hinged lid.

I think regardless of how anyone chooses to set these things up one thing I think is beneficial is to have, either an entire duplex or at least 1 outlet of the duplex "always on". It comes in handy.

Did that answer your question??

Thanks,

John

Thanks for posting this; I just built mine tonight, and it was just as easy as you guys made it sound (even for someone as mechanically inept as me!).

I used a Dremel knockoff to cut the project box (using a cutoff wheel and a sanding cylinder), and I bought a replacement appliance power cord to use as the donor for the wiring as well as the power cord itself. In fact, the hardest thing about the whole project was removing the outer covering from the power cord, it was thicker than I expected and required good effort to cut it loose and free the wiring inside. (And the powder they used inside the cord, which I assume to be some sort of talcum powder, got all over!)

Anyway, thanks for making this an approachable DIY project. I wouldn't have had to confidence to build this without the diagrams and videos! And the best part, I built this to replace a Ranco that died, and I think it only cost me around $40 all-in, less than half the price of buying a commercial unit. :)

Used this last night while building the controller box for my keggerator, works like a dream!

Thanks

Back