STC 1000 short temp probe wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atl_sud

Reaction score
Tried searching but couldn't find an answer. The temp probe wire is very short, is it as simple as splicing the wire with a length of wire? I'm concerned that extending the wire could affect the temp reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Adding a length of wire will add resistance to the probe's circuit, which can alter the accuracy.

Can you tell us what you're trying to do that requires a longer probe wire? Maybe someone can help you work with the existing length.

The STC-1000 like many similar controllers uses NTC 10K thermistors for temperature sensing.
That means the nominal resistance through the sensor is 10 thousand ohms.

Wire, otoh, has resistance per foot in the milliohms range - thousandths of an ohm.

Hence, you could add a metric crapton of wire to a 10K sensor without changing its reading by a measurable amount...

Cheers!

...not to mention you can calibrate the unit after adding the extension if you find it's needed.

Thanks for all of the replies. I need to lengthen the wire as the location of the unit to the fermentor just barely makes the probe long enough. I will set a baseline temp with no extension and measure again with the extension to see if there is any change in the reading.

Back