Stc-1000 project box help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongEZBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies, but my search prowess apparently sux.

I saw a thread where someone wired an STC into a 3 gang arrangement with always on, cold, hot and had it in a nice box. I proto-wired mine the same but cannot find the post that shows the enclosure. One works but is
A) fugly
B) not safe

So, I am asking for help. Either links to posts with pictures and enclosure details OR a reply with the same.

For example: my prototype is a four gang electrical box sourced from Home Depot.

And if the picture links work ...

IMG_2658.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

Nice! My wiring seems to follow your schematic. What did you stuff it all into and where did you get it? I have tested mine out and it all works with no faults, but it needs an enclosure.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you, but that is not my build - it's a build by the member named 'Revvy'. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't make it obvious as to what the gang box might be stuffed into, if anything at all.

I see lots of member who simply stop at the gang box and call it good. My friend built one the same and stopped with the blue gang box as the outside. If I come across any ideas I'll post them here.

Edit: You can try PMing Revvy and asking if he put it in anything.

That build almost certainly used a four-gang box with Leviton (or knock-off) duplex outlets and a matching faceplate...

Cheers!

I don't have an always on option, but do sell diy kits with or without the stc1000-if you are interested. I have some posts in the sponsor showcase section here is a pic of the case

20141116_120918.jpg

I went with a small tool box. Much more room for wiring and I can store a few things inside (extension cord, thermometer, temperature sheets, temp probe when not in use).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f253/stc-1000-tool-box-build-405286/

The pics in the link were before I added labels but my outlets are heat/cool/always on. Looks like the same tool box is now only $4 at Lowes.

Apologies, but my search prowess apparently sux.

I saw a thread where someone wired an STC into a 3 gang arrangement with always on, cold, hot and had it in a nice box. I proto-wired mine the same but cannot find the post that shows the enclosure. One works but is
A) fugly
B) not safe

So, I am asking for help. Either links to posts with pictures and enclosure details OR a reply with the same.

For example: my prototype is a four gang electrical box sourced from Home Depot.

And if the picture links work ...

IMG_2658.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG
You need 3 gang OLD WORK box .that is for NEW WORK. Barcode 3448114556 from Home Depot

I went with a small tool box. Much more room for wiring and I can store a few things inside (extension cord, thermometer, temperature sheets, temp probe when not in use).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f253/stc-1000-tool-box-build-405286/

The pics in the link were before I added labels but my outlets are heat/cool/always on. Looks like the same tool box is now only $4 at Lowes.

Plenty of room for wiring it in there. That's the hardest part, trying to stuff it in.

Why do these have 3 outlets instead of two (one always on and one split between heat and cool)?

Top outlet is always on. Other two are dedicated to cooling and heating. Since writing last I have pressed this into service and it is working great, thanks to all who posted original wiring diagrams and all the links to those. Thanks also for the mention of new vs old construction boxes, I did not know the difference.

When this batch is done I'll take some time to pretty it up and post another pic or two. I'll keep the current box and make some mods.

Hmm. I do not know how that happened. That was my post.

I have put a face plate on the project and it is now happily monitoring my
"Helles vom Hölle". (So named for the troubles during brew day -- another story)

Back