Statute of limitations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
Anyone know after how long a brewery will stop looking for a keg? Found a guy with 2 old 1/2bbl sankes he has had 4 years or so. Paid the deposit on them full and just never took them back. Willing to give them up for free, but I'm trying to do the right thing here.

The brewery was probably never actively looking for those kegs. The distributor still might care about them. Ask where he got the kegs, and see if the place will take a late return. If you can't return them, be happy with your good fortune.

This sort of thing has been discussed to death. Do a little searching to see what others have to say about the morality of kegs, deposits, and the like.

Don't be too surprised if the thread gets closed quickly. These things tend to spiral out of control.

Sorry, I figured it was on here but was looking for a quick answer. Too close to vacation. On my way to get them - whether they take them back or I keep them it'll be a good deal.

Thanks Yuri!

I think guilt is the driving force in your situation. Does it feel bad to have the kegs? if so take them back. If not keep them. Ultimately you are the one that has the choice.

John

Most scrap yards in my area will not take kegs for cash knowing they are stolen or dirty in one way or another. The couple I have sold copper to the past 30 years are dirty and will buy and sell kegs without any paperwork, cash and "we don't know you". This only to people they know like me over the years cashing in tons of copper. I have no respect for them or will I purchase a keg from them. I do have morals and respect for the breweries property. My following reply is almost against this moral issue but told by the drivers to take them. I ask and get more than just stealing a keg.

Yup today I saw my local 5th wheel bier keg delivery driver, went a couple blocks away and picked up a mixed 6 pack of stouts I made for him months ago. The back surgery had me delayed in out meetings. I'll meet him again tomorrow with two more mixed 6 packs for trade of two Anhauser Bush 15.5 gallon kegs for free. He sometimes ends up with off brands I get for free. No money just friendship exchanged.
A few kegs with smashed in skirts that will be removed from service once back in their yard. A bad top i'll mill off below it for my projects. Stealing and morals, I have no worries or fears as this is a normal business with big breweries and some drivers. I have just made 6 packs of 2 litre filled and gas charged bottles for him, a idea off this forum. A win win deal with no money exchanged so his job is not on the line. I call it lucky to have a great friend and delivery driver like this one besides his delivery route is less than 100' away from my rental house restoration project, great for quick easy swaps.

I even have a odd ball keg given to me a almost brand new Jack Daniels 15.5 keg. Old Jack tried bier from 94 to 97 only and a useless keg. I'm up to sixteen 15.5 and three 7.75 kegs. The pony kegs were from a fire damaged piazza joint remodel job I pulled them from the dumpster I salvaged them for future use. the future is coming near I hope. Tuesday ws the last day of 4 packs of cleaned and pressurized shipped corny's by The CHI Company at Northern California. This at $80 for four plus shiping, this makes 24 Pepsi corny's with one odd duck Coke Pin Lock that needs a new home or swap wirh cash for a corny ball lock. The Coke Corny will not fit in my Corny Pepsi refrigerator single tap frig. Bummer. Also a Corny given to me with the top cut off right at the top black rubber, may use this as a chiller container with well water passing thru it and around the coils. Planning stages and ideas still collecting materials. Time is on my side.

Most scrap yards in my area will not take kegs for cash knowing they are stolen or dirty in one way or another. The couple I have sold copper to the past 30 years are dirty and will buy and sell kegs without any paperwork, cash and "we don't know you". This only to people they know like me over the years cashing in tons of copper. I have no respect for them or will I purchase a keg from them. I do have morals and respect for the breweries property. My following reply is almost against this moral issue but told by the drivers to take them. I ask and get more than just stealing a keg.

Yup today I saw my local 5th wheel bier keg delivery driver, went a couple blocks away and picked up a mixed 6 pack of stouts I made for him months ago. The back surgery had me delayed in out meetings. I'll meet him again tomorrow with two more mixed 6 packs for trade of two Anhauser Bush 15.5 gallon kegs for free. He sometimes ends up with off brands I get for free. No money just friendship exchanged.
A few kegs with smashed in skirts that will be removed from service once back in their yard. A bad top i'll mill off below it for my projects. Stealing and morals, I have no worries or fears as this is a normal business with big breweries and some drivers. I have just made 6 packs of 2 litre filled and gas charged bottles for him, a idea off this forum. A win win deal with no money exchanged so his job is not on the line. I call it lucky to have a great friend and delivery driver like this one besides his delivery route is less than 100' away from my rental house restoration project, great for quick easy swaps.

I even have a odd ball keg given to me a almost brand new Jack Daniels 15.5 keg. Old Jack tried bier from 94 to 97 only and a useless keg. I'm up to sixteen 15.5 and three 7.75 kegs. The pony kegs were from a fire damaged piazza joint remodel job I pulled them from the dumpster I salvaged them for future use. the future is coming near I hope. Tuesday ws the last day of 4 packs of cleaned and pressurized shipped corny's by The CHI Company at Northern California. This at $80 for four plus shiping, this makes 24 Pepsi corny's with one odd duck Coke Pin Lock that needs a new home or swap wirh cash for a corny ball lock. The Coke Corny will not fit in my Corny Pepsi refrigerator single tap frig. Bummer. Also a Corny given to me with the top cut off right at the top black rubber, may use this as a chiller container with well water passing thru it and around the coils. Planning stages and ideas still collecting materials. Time is on my side.

these two post seem to contradict each other . You wont purchase a keg from a scrap yard yet you will take a couple from the driver who has no right to give away his employers property for free or for HB. If one of my employees gave away my property without clearing it first they would be unemployed. Kegs that are taken out of service are sold to Sabco and others. So you did technically steal the kegs .

I dont really care care how a keg is obtained but dont talk about morals and then say the driver gave you one and thats ok.

To the OP most likely the owner already has recouped the money for these from the deposit and insurance yes kegs are insured just like any companies assets they most likely wont want them back .I tried to return a Bud keg to Dana distributors I picked up during clean up in town . I know the owners of the Distributorship They didn't want it back. No papers no return so I got a nice keg and I can feel at ease about it ... They have also given me some 1/6ths and slim 1/4's from defunct breweries when they get them.

I got mine from a friend who got it (bought the beer and paid the deposit on the keg) from a distributor who now no longer distributes that particular (imported) brand, and they didn't want to take the keg back (it has been many months since the purchase of the beer and the deposit paperwork had been lost).

I guess barring trying to contact the manufacturer overseas, I'm counting this one as legitimate.

Several people in our brewclub just got kegs from a local brewery that was retiring some older kegs for $30 each.

Back