Statstical Analysis of Winning Festbier recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great analysis! I'll definitely check out some of your other videos.

One nit to pick... I think you recommended a protein rest for the Wyermann Floor Malted Pilsner (as compared to a "regular" pilsner), presumably because it's undermodified or at least less modified.

I'm not sure where the "Wyermann Floor Malted Pilsner is undermodified" rumor got started, but all of the sheets I've seen for it cite a protein modification of 38-44, which I would not consider to be undermodified, But more to the point, every sheet I've seen for Wyermann Pilsner ("regular") cites 36-42.5. So the floor malted is actually a bit more modified than the "regular."

I won't go so far as to say that a protein rest would harm this style, but I would say that "floor malted" malt doesn't seem like a reason to do it.

Looking forward to more of your analysis videos!

Great analysis! I'll definitely check out some of your other videos.

One nit to pick... I think you recommended a protein rest for the Wyermann Floor Malted Pilsner (as compared to a "regular" pilsner), presumably because it's undermodified or at least less modified.

I'm not sure where the "Wyermann Floor Malted Pilsner is undermodified" rumor got started, but all of the sheets I've seen for it cite a protein modification of 38-44, which I would not consider to be undermodified, But more to the point, every sheet I've seen for Wyermann Pilsner ("regular") cites 36-42.5. So the floor malted is actually a bit more modified than the "regular."

I won't go so far as to say that a protein rest would harm this style, but I would say that "floor malted" malt doesn't seem like a reason to do it.

Looking forward to more of your analysis videos!

Yes we still do a protein rest on Weyermann floor malted. I understand the argument but can't argue the results. Hesitant to change the process on our fest!

Thanks! Latest video is up.

Back