Starting up, suggested to go with all grain tho

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamburgler

Reaction score
A friend and I have decided to take the plunge and start brewing our own.

The local Microbrew brewmaster said to do all grain, even tho we are starting out, we would enjoy it more.

is it worth doing that or not?

Thanks

I think getting your feet wet with an extract kit first is better. That way you learn the basics before taking on a process that involves more time, equipment and knowledge. Not to discourage you. All grain can be simple as well. But if your pretty confident in youll do all grain then go ahead and buy 5 gal batch equipment so you dont have to upgrade to much later Just my2€.

most start out doing extract but I don't see any reason not to go all grain from the start. the only extra equipment you will need over doing extract is a turkey fryer and a 50 qt cooler so its only about a extra 100 bucks. A little advice buy how to brew by Palmer this book will explain most of your questions. any questions the book does not answer can be answered here.

might as well jump into ag. i did extract for maybe 2 months before i made my move to ag. lots of people start ag

My only recommendation is to get a pot capable of boiling a full volume of wort (5 gallons, so 7-10 gallon pot), because it will come in handy if you continue to upgrade your brewing equipment. I brewed some good beer with my old 5 gallon pot.....but now it is just for brining brisket and pork shoulders!

Stevo2569 said:
I think getting your feet wet with an extract kit first is better. That way you learn the basics before taking on a process that involves more time, equipment and knowledge. Not to discourage you. All grain can be simple as well. But if your pretty confident in youll do all grain then go ahead and buy 5 gal batch equipment so you dont have to upgrade to much later Just my2€.

+1
get the basics, see if you like the process. The nice thing about starting w extract...all the equipment you buy can and will be used with all grain.

You can do small batch all grain on your stove top to get started with very little equipment. Keep a couple thermometers handy at all times. I brew 3 Gallon batches on my stove every two weeks or so. It allows you to experiment with different recipes and ideas more often and keep a larger variety of your favorites available. Enjoy and ditto on the Palmer book!

My first batch was all-grain, I planned my whole brewday out, had step by step instructions written out, everything from the temp my water needed to be before adding the grain, all the way to marking disposable tupperware bowls with the time I should add that particular amount of hops to the boil.

I ran a test of the full boil capacity using water, timed an hour boil to see my evaporation rate, and then how long it would take to cool it down to pitching temp.

I had a great brew day, made a pretty decent beer, and have never looked back!

Good luck and dont fear the AG!!

I haven't started AG yet but I want to. I'd say go for it, most likely you'll make a decent batch if you do a little research and you'll probably be addicted and get to all grain anyway. Don't worry about all the scientific stuff at the start like water profiles and the like, hit all your temps and times, I think you'll be fine. Also, if you know anyone that does AG, try and hang out with them on brewday do you can see what it's like. I'm going to do that with a friend of mine before I get all my stuff.

I started with All Grain straight away, the mashing process isn't something to be scared of if you look at what it really is. Just add hot water to grains, let it sit for an hour and then collect the liquid.

I'd recommend to have a word with the brewmaster what kind of beer your water is suitable for. For example my water is suited for "light colored" beers without any need for adjustments, so I didnt do a porter or such for my first brew. Any water science beyond that isn't really needed at first.

I might do the extract then, just to get the cleaning/sanitizing skills down pat.

Been looking at also picking up some turkey fryers from the store. they come with a 30 or a 36qt bucket and a 58,000 btu burner

those good for now or would it be worth buying the bigger/better stuff after i get the extract down?

Latest posts

Back