Starting to Consider a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutiger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever make a lager in an unmodified fridge?

So I'm thinking about brewing a lager for the first time here pretty soon. But here's my situation, I don't have an extra fridge to dedicate as a fermentation chamber or even the space to get one so that's out of the question, all I have is my fridge that I use for everyday stuff.

That being said I know I can't do full scale batches, so I was planning on just doing 1 or 2 gallon batches for right now. I've noticed using a thermometer that the top shelf of the fridge sits at a pretty constant 45 F, and the bottom is right about 34 F.

So I'm thinking just brew some beer, throw some lager yeast in, and let it ferment up top in the fridge until it's done. Then take it out of the fridge and give it a good diacetyl rest. Next I'll lager it in the bottom of the fridge for a good while before bottling.

Let me know what y'all think

Might take a bit longer to ferment out before lagering, most strains run from the 45-58 range? so your right in the lower end but seems like it will work. Good luck.

I would investigate that 45 at the top of the fridge a bit more to make sure it is stable. Consistent temp is vital to a good lager fermentation.

Back in my 20s I would lager 5 gal in my one fridge, with no thermostat, by strategically leaving the door cracked open an inch or two. Lol. It worked, but I couldn't buy meat,eggs, or milk for a couple weeks.:)

Now I use a dedicated fridge (craigslist) and tstat.

Back in my 20s I would lager 5 gal in my one fridge, with no thermostat, by strategically leaving the door cracked open an inch or two. Lol. It worked, but I couldn't buy meat,eggs, or milk for a couple weeks.:)

Now I use a dedicated fridge (craigslist) and tstat.

Psh, who needs real food when you have beer?

Back