Starting to Brew again in Colorado

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neustkg

Reaction score
I'm new here and from Colorado. I haven't been brewing since about 2001 and am starting to replace some of my worn out equipment (tubing, plastic buckets, etc.). A few years ago I acquired a 15 gal keg and cut the top out and had a welder weld the proper fittings on the side so that I could install ball valve and thermometer. This allows me to brew two six gallon batches and works well. I also keg my beer in soda kegs, but my kegerator died last year and I am in the process of looking for another fridge to convert (I will probably post a thread on that forum about that topic).

I'm probably getting back into homebrewing at the wrong time with a worldwide hops and barley shortage.

I used to like to go to Boulder for restaurants (still love Mountain Sun and Southern Sun Breweries), but I hate the college crowds these days).

I live just about midway between Denver and Boulder.

Is What's Brewin' homebrew store still open these days?

nope, What's Brewing closed a few months ago. I have been to Brew At Home in Westmister (didn't like it and not great prices), The Brew Hut in Aurora (great shop, attached to microbrewery, lowest prices, but really far from me), and Stomp Them Grapes (right off I-25 near invesco, great shop, kinda high prices, but nice guys).

Is there any local homebrew shop that sells bulk extract where I bring in a jug or whatever and they weight it out for me and I pay by the pound or ounce?

Brew at Home is about 3 miles east of where I live, I think I'll take a look. Will also check out Brew Hut even though they are far away for me, too.

Thats cool, I just don't like Brew at Home because they were somewhat unhelpful the time I went there. For me, good customer service is enough to win my business for life, I used to work in retail, and I know how these things can work. I went there to buy grains for my imperial stout, spend almost $40 in grains alone and their mill wasn't crushing the grain well, most of the husks were not even touched. I asked if they can adjust the mill, and they told me the crush was fine (which is clearly was not) and that I should run it through the mill again (which wasted another 20 minutes and made no difference). Missed my calculated OG of 1.110 and only got 1.080. That was enough for me not to go back.

Back