Starting my own cider orchard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stijn26

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Belgium and I make my own cider. Now I want to begin with my own little orchard.

I selected the following varieties:
cox 2 trees
gloster 2 trees
keuleman 2 trees
pomme d'or 1 tree
reine des reinettes 2 trees
yarlington mill 1 tree
marie mesnard 1 tree

Comments, tips are welcome, maybe I need to switch the numbers?

I've only heard of 3 of the 7 varieties you've listed, So I can't really comment.
The best strategy is to grow varieties that are suited for your area.
If I try to grow French cider varieties in my warmer climate here in the US, the resulting apple juice will not be the same. Disease and insect pressure are real problems, some trees I planted recently had severe fire blight issues and since I only want to use minimal spraying, those trees will probably have to go.
So check around with growers in your area and see what works for them.

Hi,

I live in Belgium and I make my own cider. Now I want to begin with my own little orchard.

I selected the following varieties:
cox 2 trees
gloster 2 trees
keuleman 2 trees
pomme d'or 1 tree
reine des reinettes 2 trees
yarlington mill 1 tree
marie mesnard 1 tree

Comments, tips are welcome, maybe I need to switch the numbers?

Maybe you can tell us why you selected those varieties? I'm only familiar with a few of them.

my two cents-
I would make sure I had plenty of bitters and bitter sharps.
It seems that sharps, such as Gravensteins etc are never hard to come by.
Bitters on the other hand, are usually harder to come by (at least in the US).
If I do plant a tree, it’ll be a bitter. Even if I had to use store juice, I could augment w 10-30% bitters and it would probably turn out great.

One other note that I have not seen mentioned: most apple species need to cross pollinate-Meaning you have to have a tree of a suitable variety within a close enough proximity in order to bare fruit-and another tree of the same variety will not pollinate it, or you will not have a strong yeild.
I am not familiar with most of your varieties listed so you will have to find out what will pollinate what, not to mention some species are sterile and will not pollinate others. One way of mitigating this issue is to plant some crabapple trees which have an extended blossoming period which overlaps most other varieties. But it is best to find out what are complementary to each other.
Be prepared for a season or 3 to pass before you get a substantial harvest, and learn how to properly prune or thin out your tree to maximize your yeild. Not to mention pests and critters that will rob you of a few as well.
I have a honeycrisp that is 4 years in the ground now and I am yet to get a ripe apple off of it. It has produced plenty but critters get them all.
Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
Pollination is checked, each tree has at least 2 other pollinators.

The reason why I've chosen this trees:
Cox's Orange Pippin - Sharp - Balance, taste, aroma
Gloster - Sweet / sharp - Taste, aroma
Keuleman - Sweet / sharp - Taste, aroma
Pomme d'or - Bittersharp / sharp? - Balance
Reine Des Reinettes - Bittersharp / sharp? - Taste, aroma
Yarlington Mill - Bittersweet - Balance, Taste, Aroma
Marie Mesnard - Bittersweet - Balance

I think I have enough bitters for now. At the very least I think I can start with this selection and see what it gives and put some other trees in the next years (maybe at friends / family). Also a friend of mine has a commercial apple orchard so getting apples for the base juice should not be a problem. Yarlington mill should also make a excellent single variety cider.

Back