Starting Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsanch8

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new on here and I'm looking to start home brewing! I have been looking at some starter kits and I am thinking about this kit:
http://www.kegerator.com/gold-complete-beer-equipment-kit/K6COMPKIT.html
since it looks like it comes with a fair amount of equipment. I do not not have a kettle or any kind of brewing equipment. Does this look like a solid kit or should I go for another from a different company(northern brewer, more beer)?
Thanks and sorry if its a repetitive thread!

I have this kit and it has everything you need to get started except the pot, bottles, and ingredients. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit-2.html
You might notice that it has no carboy. Very few beers require moving to secondary so you don't need a carboy to get started. If you have room and can do the boil outdoors, I'd suggest a bigger pot to start with too. A turkey fryer setup will get you a pot and burner and can be had quite cheap.

Hey guys! I'm new on here and I'm looking to start home brewing! I have been looking at some starter kits and I am thinking about this kit:
http://www.kegerator.com/gold-complete-beer-equipment-kit/K6COMPKIT.html
since it looks like it comes with a fair amount of equipment. I do not not have a kettle or any kind of brewing equipment. Does this look like a solid kit or should I go for another from a different company(northern brewer, more beer)?
Thanks and sorry if its a repetitive thread!

Are you planning on doing just a basic extract recipe kit? Or a Extract and speciality grains recipe? Brew in a bag? something else?

What size batches? 1 gal? 5 gal? bigger?

How much room to you have to brew? store equipment? ferment?

I think it's safe to assume that he'll start with extract,as very few start with PM or AG. The Midwest basic starter kit linked above is a good kit to start with. Just add a brew kettle,bottles,& beer kit.

I think it's safe to assume that he'll start with extract,as very few start with PM or AG. The Midwest basic starter kit linked above is a good kit to start with. Just add a brew kettle,bottles,& beer kit.

I think it's worth asking before making suggestions...:mug:

I started as a Partial mash... was not interested in mixing caned wort and water to ferment beer...

So my limited experience .. more start out at least with steeping speciality grains and extract vs wort in a can or all extract.
To each his own, there is no wrong answer,, but we have to know the question before we can give a useful response.

It looks like a good kit to start with, I would highly suggest you purchase an immersion chiller. It will make life so much easier than an ice bath. On the side note, do you have a local home brew supply store? It may be a little more expensive to purchase a kit from them, but it is worth establishing a relationship with experienced home brewers.

You're def in the minority,starting out PM. some Even go for broke & start with AG. But I think it's peer pressure &/or impatience that drives people to try to cut straight to the chase. Gott a learn to crawl before you learn to walk then learn to run.
And as far as how many start E/SG vs kit-n-kilo,I think it's pretty close. how fast anyone progresses in the hobby is up to the individual. But it's quite safe to assume that most are a bit too intimidated by PM/AG to start with that. You can start with AG or PM,but it won't guarantee a good beer. Learning a good process & skills will go farther to getting good beer,regarless of brewing style. This is the same old argument as to which way is better. Whatever gets good beer for YOU is better.

You're def in the minority,starting out PM. some Even go for broke & start with AG. But I think it's peer pressure &/or impatience that drives people to try to cut straight to the chase. Gott a learn to crawl before you learn to walk then learn to run.
And as far as how many start E/SG vs kit-n-kilo,I think it's pretty close. how fast anyone progresses in the hobby is up to the individual. But it's quite safe to assume that most are a bit too intimidated by PM/AG to start with that. You can start with AG or PM,but it won't guarantee a good beer. Learning a good process & skills will go farther to getting good beer,regarless of brewing style. This is the same old argument as to which way is better. Whatever gets good beer for YOU is better.

No argument is being made for one over the other :mug: (unless you're arguing with yourself :D )

Just saying.... until YOU know how the new brewer is planning on making beer.. throwing out what he needs recommendations are more likely to confuse the OP and others that find this thread later... then help,, unless you happen to guess correctly at how he wants to make beer, his spending goals/limits, room for equipment and brewing ect..

The concept is pretty simple.. Know the question before trying to post an answer.:mug:

No argument is being made for one over the other :mug: (unless you're arguing with yourself :D )

Just saying.... until YOU know how the new brewer is planning on making beer.. throwing out what he needs recommendations are more likely to confuse the OP and others that find this thread later... then help,, unless you happen to guess correctly at how he wants to make beer, his spending goals/limits, room for equipment and brewing ect..

The concept is pretty simple.. Know the question before trying to post an answer.:mug:

I base my answers on what is said up to that point. And the usual questions & answers sought typically. If the op corrects me,it's cool. Folks don't always think of every question they need answered in their 1st post. Not arguing,just clarifying from a couple years of answering these questions every day. I stand by my answers unless the op states otherwise,or clarifies his/her questions. No sweat...:mug:

Sorry for not being that specific! I want to start of with 5 gallons and extract brewing, then hopefully to ag.

I rest my case. Not to be stuck up or anything EM,but it's experience with this forum that also tips the odds in favor of a given answer. Sometimes the magic works,sometimes it doesn't...;).
So,where the heck were we? :drunk:
I think the best thing for you to start with would be E/SG (Extract With Steeping Grains). You'll get a little experience with grains that can be steeped to freshen up your extract beer. Easier & a hair quicker than AG or PM beers. Ay midwest & NB,you can add a beer kit to your brewing kit.
With this brewing kit,it also lists down the page which beer kits you can add on; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit-2.html
Autumn Amber ale,Irish Red or Irish stout. At only $26.99,that's not a bad price for 5 gallons of extract beer.

I rest my case. Not to be stuck up or anything EM,but it's experience with this forum that also tips the odds in favor of a given answer. Sometimes the magic works,sometimes it doesn't...;).
So,where the heck were we? :drunk:
I think the best thing for you to start with would be E/SG (Extract With Steeping Grains). You'll get a little experience with grains that can be steeped to freshen up your extract beer. Easier & a hair quicker than AG or PM beers. Ay midwest & NB,you can add a beer kit to your brewing kit.
With this brewing kit,it also lists down the page which beer kits you can add on; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-basics-equipment-kit-2.html
Autumn Amber ale,Irish Red or Irish stout. At only $26.99,that's not a bad price for 5 gallons of extract beer.

Whats that saying.. If you are asked a question and you guess right...was it still a guess? :D

Good guess :mug: your experience here paid off
Folks don't always think of every question they need answered in their 1st post

That was my whole point.... it's just the way my mind thinks.. if an incomplete question is asked, respond with clarifying questions so an accurate answer can be given.. without a lot of guess and back and forth....like this thread now is.. further muddying up the deal..
But I digress
So 5 gal extract.. which if the set up is sized right could to that and later steeping or partial mash, BIAB as well)

• 7.9 gallon plastic primary fermenter with a lid and stopper
• One 3-piece airlock
• Universal stopper
• Plastic Bucket Opener
• Bottling bucket with spigot
• 6 feet of Siphon Hose (3/8" Thin Wall)
• Auto-Siphon (3/8")
• Auto-Siphon Clamp (3/8")
• Plastic Thief (Fermtech)
• Bottle Filler (3/8")
• Red Baron Bottle capper
• Bottle caps
• Nylon grain bag
• Triple scale hydrometer
• Floating thermometer
• 21" stainless steel spoon
• 20 foot wort chiller for quick cooling
• Cleanitizer (ABHS version of a sanitizer)
• Ultimate Brewery Cleaner
• 30 QT pot

That will get you started for 5 gal extract with room to grow to Steeping specialty grains, partial mash, brew in a bag

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_33_52
Pick a kit that comes close, then call and talk to them about swapping parts you don't want for stuff you do want...or want to add.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_42

pick any of these kits in a all extract or Mini Mash version.

Then brew some beer....:mug:

It's between being an English major through college & experience with what & how questions are asked every day here. So it's educated guessing.;):D
I'm going for the 7.9 gallon shorter/wider bucket myself. It has a "O" ring seal in the lid,whereas the Ale Pail I just tossed full of lacto infection doesn't. No more ale pails for me with no lid seals, They blow out & suck back under those tight fitting,but still leak under pressure lids.
So your 7.9G bucket suggestion is good. I made a bottling bucket out of one. Just for those that can't visualize what we mean,here's a pic of my brewry with the Brewer's Best 6.5G Ale Pail to the left of the 7.9G shorty bottling bucket that can also be a fermenter;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0003_zpsd8b211ca.jpg.html] [/URL]
On the 1st,I'm getting another of the one on the right with the "O" ring seal in the lid to replace the lacto infected ale pail on the left. Need a good seal around here...:mug:***By the way,I just noticed the large spirit orb above the Bud case box. Never noticed that before?!...

I'm going for the 7.9 gallon shorter/wider bucket myself. It has a "O" ring seal in the lid,whereas the Ale Pail I just tossed full of lacto infection doesn't. No more ale pails for me with no lid seals

Interesting, I have six 7.9 gal buckets now.. three tall, three short, all have the o ring in the lid.. Some bought from Austin Homebrew supply and some from my local HBS.

My 1st Ferm chamber could only hold two buckets if both were tall 7.9 gals ones.. new ferm chamber can hold three buckets, but 2 need to be talls, one short.

Was not aware there was another type of gasket config in a standard bucket..
Thanks. Something to watch for. :mug:

Yeah,even Midwest has the ale pails with their logo on it. But they also have the 7.9G shorty with seal with their logo as well. the ale pail style ones don't have the lid seal at all. They clamp down tight,but can leak or suck back under the lid. no friggin more. I talked to one of the techs at Midwest & they said none of their ale pale style buckets have a lid with a seal available. So the shorty WITH seal it is! No more leaks or suckbacks from under the lid. Some of the reviewers on midwest made note of this same problem as well.

Yeah,even Midwest has the ale pails with their logo on it. But they also have the 7.9G shorty with seal with their logo as well. the ale pail style ones don't have the lid seal at all. They clamp down tight,but can leak or suck back under the lid. no friggin more. I talked to one of the techs at Midwest & they said none of their ale pale stuyle buckets have a lid with a seal available. So the shorty WITH seal it is! No more leaks or suckbacks from under the lid. Some of the reviewers on midwest made note of this same problem as well.

well now.. I wonder if that is the reason so many here believe buckets are prone to leaking, yet not a single one of my highly limited experience of 12 batches has..:confused: All my buckets have an o ring seal, o ring removed to clean after each brew, and replaced on brew day.

A straight plastic to plastic "seal" sounds like a horrible design / idea and prone to leakage (followed by rampant bad reviews on the internet that get leveled incorrectly against any and all plastic bucket fermentors)

Or maybe plastic buckets really do suck :D And in a few years I'll come to that position as well and go all glass...... then almost die because glass is Soooo unsafe :cross: and then buy PET bottles :)

Holy thread Hijack,,,, Sorry bsanch8... What was it you wanted to know????

Clamping the lid plastic to plastic is def a bad idea. and yes,it leaks out from under it every time. Just finally bit me in the backside. Lesson learned. Now,where the heck were we?:drunk::D
I think that since Midwest has such high turnover,the brewing kit & beer kits from them are reasonably priced,of good quality & fresher. I order a lot from them & NB.

Back