starting gravity too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
I posted this in general, however I think that might have been the wrong place. I think in this subject or recipes is more appropiate.

Hey guys,
I was listening to the brewing network Jamil show Blond Ale episode. I followed Jamil's recipe with 8.3 lbs of DME Pilsner light, 0.5 lbs of crystle 10 and 1oz of willamette hops. I only used 7.25lbs of DME Pilsner Light by DL, because in promash I calculated that 8.3 was too high to finish up with 5 gals from a 6 gal boil. But instead of getting a lower SG of 1.052 I got a SG of 1.70. Then I noticed there were two different Briess DME amber. One with a Potential SG of 1.035, which was the one I used in the calculation, and one with 1.046, which was the one that I think I used. Because when I did the calculation on promash with the 1.046 one at 5 gal I got 1.069 SG. I have two questions: Why, if there are two types, are the Potential SG not clearly stated on the package? And, should I correct this by boiling 1.5 gal of water and putting it in the carboy so my ABV is 5.2 % instead of 7.94 %? Please someone help.

I only used 7.25lbs of DME Pilsner Light by DL,

two different Briess DME amber One with a Potential SG of 1.035, which was the one I used in the calculation, and one with 1.046, which was the one that I think I used.
I'm confused...which did you use? Regardless, 1.035 is LME, and 1.046 is DME.

And, should I correct this by boiling 1.5 gal of water and putting it in the carboy so my ABV is 5.2 % instead of 7.94 %? Please someone help.
I'd let it ferment out, and taste it at bottling time. If you want to water it down then, you can. No matter what you do, your hop bitterness is likely to be low, though, because (a) you have 20% more malt than you thought, and (b) your utilization will be lower.

I used Briess DME pilsner light. In Promash however, there is no pilsner light, just amber which is what I gather they are referring to right?

Would it matter if I added the extra boiled water now, while it was fermenting, or when it was done fermenting and i added it to the keg for priming? I prime with corn sugar, if this makes a difference.

Unless you really are trying to conform to style, I'd leave it alone. Compensate for the hops by dry-hopping (although it won't actually add bitterness, the aroma will give the perception of a hoppier beer) and drink it the way it is.

Thats going to give it a potential ABV of over %7. That is way not to style. I was trying to make a nice session beer that you could drink a lot of. I shouldn't water it down? I think I only got 4gal out of the 5.5 I put in. So how could it change the hops if it is supposed to have 5 gals in. What would the difference be if i knocked the volume back up to what it was supposed to be at the end by adding a gal or 1.5 gal. I just dont understand. Thanks for your input guys, you will be teaching me and others needed to know facts.

I'm having trouble understanding your post. So you added 7.25 lbs of DME into your boil, and ended up with 3.5 gallons of wort?

Blonde ales are really low hopped anyways, so the hop utilization being low is fine, but I would dry hop it a little anyways so it's not so sweet. I would definitely boil and cool 1.5 gallons of water though to top it up to 5 gallons though. Wait until fermentation is mostly done though. Also when you're kegging you don't need to use priming sugar, you're adding carbonation anyways.

Did you actually take a SG reading before you pitched the yeast or just use promash's calculations?

Thats going to give it a potential ABV of over %7. That is way not to style. I was trying to make a nice session beer that you could drink a lot of. I shouldn't water it down? I think I only got 4gal out of the 5.5 I put in. So how could it change the hops if it is supposed to have 5 gals in. What would the difference be if i knocked the volume back up to what it was supposed to be at the end by adding a gal or 1.5 gal. I just dont understand. Thanks for your input guys, you will be teaching me and others needed to know facts.

What I gather from this is you started with 5.5 gallons and after the boil ended up with 4 gallons of wort. Correct? Was this recipe supposed to end up at 5 gallons? Yes you can add cooled boiled water but not 1.5 gallons but 1 gallon. In the future if the recipe calls for 5 gallons then your pre boil volume should be over 6 gallons to account for evaporation.

Yes, I believe I ended up with less wort then I was supposed to. I can only boil 6 gals, thats what Jamil said was fine too, obviously not. So I will add 1 gal to my wart after fermentation. Can I dry hop with pellets. I did take the SG when the wort was cool, from the bottom with only wort and no sediment. Also I find it cheaper and easier to just prime the 5 gal soda keg with 3/4 cup of priming sugar and I dont have to add CO2. It all comes out fine.

Back