Starting brewing again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepetitnormand

Reaction score
Howdy there,

It has been a while since I posted on this forum and pretty much the same about brewing.

Until now I have mainly brewed on the electric kitchen stove out of a 8 qt pasta pot. Barely big enough for a 1 gallon all grain BIAB and not much better for a 2.5 gallon extract.

Looking at my set up it becomes evident that I need to go outdoor to brew, the wife and kid can't take it anymore inside which led me to stop brewing.

With the weather cooling down in Austin tx, it is finally time for me to get started again and I was wondering if some of you can provide some feedback on my set up. I will be brewing mainly 2.5 batch, this is just the right size and amount for me

Fermenting : having a fermentation chamber would be great but really I do not have any space for this at this time so I will stick with a swamp cooler and rotated frozen bottle under the master bedroom vanity ... out of the way and perfect size for the bin full of water and my 3 gallon jug.

Cooling : a big tub with water and ice

Brewing :

What I have :

small scale, hydrometer, 3 gallon water jug to ferment in and bung/airlock, half decent paint strainer ( will be replaced ).

What I need :

A new thermometer, the previous one did not appreciated to spend some time in the oven when I was mashing my last batch.

A kettle big enough to BIAB 2.5 g

A burner.

A Few days ago I got a gift card that I can use at academy and was looking at this thinking that it will get me there and I was wondering if you guys would agree.

burner/thermometer/lid/30qt lid.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-propane-turkey-fryer#repChildCatid=1251766

it's a $100 gift card so it will even provide me the money to buy the gas bottle as well.

Looking forward to read your comment.

Kind regards

X :confused:

When you go to academy see if they have one that has a stainless pot; that is what you want to go with.
It is usually only $10 more and it is now turkey frying season so you should be able to pick one up on the cheap.
Get a bottle of starsan and box of oxyclean (unscented). Make sure you are still good on bottling equipment.
Other than that you will probably want to upgrade your cooler next; an immersion coil for that size will run you under $50.

Back