Starting a HomeBrew Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
Been wanting to do this for a while... But there is no Home Brew Shop here in town.

Micro Is opening next month here in town. Got another guy wanting to do the same from the micros FB page... We will be discussing club details further soon.... I've heard there are several other brewers in town.... I just don't know any of them. I'm not from the area and only know 1 other brewer.... Other guy may have more contacts. HOPE. HOPE.

How did any of you guys start a club?

I'd rather not meet at homes. Micro might be the best location. If it's legal in SC (need to check). Both the clubs I was a member of met in homebrew shops after hours, I don't have that here.

How do we start?

I'm thinking about founding fathers getting some tee's or hoodies made (so we look official). when we get 10+ members a minimal dues be established to cover a room... I'm thinking tours to breweries in NC & SC on the weekends every few months (when we get enough dues cover meeting spots room, drivers and van rentals. Guests can pay a fee back to club to join tour as a guest.) Guests can join meeting for free. just need to find a way to put a cap on "suckers" that just come for free beer, since it's illegal to "sell" the beer.

Does guest have a sponsor and bring an extra 2-3 home brews to cover tasting?? Was thinking tastings would require members to bring 2-3 brews as a sample? Fair?

Meetings should be casual share brews and a short technique talk.

More members... more give a ways t's hoodies donated equip. raffle drawings.

I want this to be fun... but I don't want to put out too much cash, and It's not for profit... anything in, goes back to club... like I said tours, give a ways etc. I've been a scout leader so planning events works ok for me... just need a treasurer that I can trust. I'm an artist and suck at record keeping.

any help from founding fathers of a club would be appreciated.

How did you start???

Thanks!:mug:

A club just started in my area. It's "sponsored" by a local brew pub, which is where we have our meetings. A couple of the founders are on HBT. So, hopefully this thread catches their attention, since they'll be able to help out a lot more than me.

A club just started in my area. It's "sponsored" by a local brew pub, which is where we have our meetings. ...
Yes, our club got started b/c the local brewpub really wanted to reach out and do something with local homebrewers. Our current President and Communications officer worked closely with the Head Brewer and brewpub's manager and got things rolling. I'd start by contacting the micro and see if they are willing. If not, try a local beer bar. I'd also post on other forums - AHA forum, Northern Brewer, the BN forum - anywhere you can - to drum up interest. You'll probably get interest from people who have been members of clubs before, but live closer and might want to join and/or help get you started.

There is a lot of good information on the AHA website.

Our website it here: http://www.palebrewers.org/

also, the brewing network sunday session just had a great episode about starting a homebrew club. gordon strong and drew (beechum i think) from a large homebrew club were on and they gave a ton of good info on how to get started. i would definitely check out that podcast if you are looking for where to start.

edit: i say "just" because I just listened to it, i'm not exactly sure how old it is, but it's from this year for sure.

Back