Starters and Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
Hey All,

Yesterday, i bought the AHS Double IPA kit with the additional 1% alcohol boost. The kit itself has a projected SG of 1.088. With the additional 1%, i figure that's about a 1.096 SG. I'm planning on using nottingham dry yeast and I want to try to get a good attenuation. From what i've read, it's important with an IIPA to get a low FG to dry out the beer.

Any tips on how i can get my FG down to an acceptable level? I plan on aerating the wort by shaking the hell out of my primary fermenter. I hear that does a decent job. I have 3 packets of nottingham ale yeast. Is it a good idea to put in more than one? Is a starter necessary with dried yeast?

I'd think with an OG that high a starter could only help. It seems that yeast has a fairly high attenuation rate, so you should be ok.

Dry yeast don't benefit from starters. Don't do it. If you think you need more than 4 billion yeast cells, pitch 2 packets. However, do re-hydrate them.

Back